12 Sally Field roles that range from iconic to obscure

From Gidget to The Flying Nun and Lincoln. Do you have a favorite Sally Field role?

Everyone knows and loves Sally Field. How could you not? She was the orginal all-American girl on Gidget and now she's won everything from Oscars to Academy Awards. Her acting career has spanned over five decades. Many people know Field for her popular roles but the obsecure ones are also worth mentioning.

If you're a fan of Sally, this list is for you. Let's dive into her most iconic and most obsecure roles. Do you have a favorite Sally Field role?

1. Gidget - 1965

Image credit: IMDb.com

Gidget was one of Sally Field's first roles and launched her into the world of acting. She was just 18 years old at the time. Many Sally Field fans watched her grow from an 18-year-old actress to a now 75-year-old icon. Field played the role of Gidget, a boy-crazy teen who loved to surf. Her role as Gidget was short-lived because the show only lasted one season with a total of 32 episodes. Fun fact: Gidget was among the first regularly scheduled color programs on ABC.

2. The Flying Nun - 1967

Image credit: IMDb.com

When you think of early Sally Field roles chances are you think of The Flying Nun. The Flying Nun was a hit TV series that lasted for three seasons. Field played the role of Sister Bertrille. The sitcom followed a community of nuns which included one who could actually fly. Are you a fan of Field in The Flying Nun?

3. The Girl with Something Extra - 1973

Image credit: Pinterest.com

The Girl with Something Extra sounds like you're describing Sally Field's early work. Field has always tried to bring something a little extra to her roles. After a few great roles she landed the role of Sally Burton. The show aired for one season on ABC. It follows the story of Sally (Field) and her husband who are seemingly normal newlyweds. The only problem is that Sally was blessed with paranormal powers. Do you remember this short-lived Sally Field TV series?

4. Smokey and the Bandit - 1977

Smokey and the Bandit is an American classic. Field played the role of Carrie and acted alongside Burt Reynolds. This was one of Field's first big movie roles. The movie was so popular even Alfred Hitchock was a big fan of it.

5. Norma Rae - 1979

Many fans of Sally Field consider Norma Rae her best work. Field played the role of Norma Rae. The film is based on a true story about a young single mother and textile worker who agrees to help unionize her mill despite the danger. Norma Rae inspired change in the '80s and helped many women find their voice. Field even won 'Best Actress in a Leading Role,' at the 1980 Oscars. Do you think Norma Rae was one of Field's best roles?

6. Places in the Heart - 1984

Image Credit: IMDb.com

Places in the Heart also got Sally Field an Oscar in 1985 for "Best Actress in a Leading Role." As well as a Golden Globe! By this point there was no doubt that Sally Field could hold her own in a leading role. In Places in the Heart she played the role of Edna Spalding. The film was set in The Great Depression and shows a community dealing with poverty and lack of hope. Did you ever see Places in the Heart? Tell us your thoughts below!

7. Mrs. Doubtfire - 1993

Mrs. Doubtfire was a part of huge back-to-back performances by Sally Field in film. She played the role of Miranda Hillard and acted alongside Robin Williams. Mrs. Doubtfire was...no doubt...one of the most iconic movies of our time.

8. Forrest Gump - 1994

Image Credit: IMDb.com

Forrest Gump is an all-time classic. Everyone has probably said "life is like a box of chocolate," at least once. Sally Field played Mrs. Gump, the mother of Forrest Gump (played by Tom Hanks). Her role as Mrs. Gump got her nominated for many awards as "Best Supporting Actress" which include: a BAFTA award, a Kids' Choice Award, Screen Actors Guild Award and more.

9. Brothers & Sisters - 2006

Coming off of some amazing performances and awards, Field went back to her roots in this family TV drama that followed the The Walker family and their life in Los Angeles. She played the role of Nora Walker. It aired for five seasons. Have you ever seen this show?

10. The Amazing Spider-Man - 2012

Everyone loves a good superhero movie! When The Amazing Spider-Man came out it grossed almost $760 million. Sally Field played the famous role of Aunt May and acted alongside the famous (and for some people, the best Spider-Man) Andrew Garfield. Instead of asking which Spider-Man you like best, we are going to ask which Aunt May do you like best?

11. Lincoln - 2012

Lincoln is considered one of the most important films in history. Lincoln was played by Daniel Day-Lewis while his wife, Mrs. Lincoln was played by Sally Field. In 2013, Lincoln was nominated for best picture at the Oscars. And Sally Field took home multiple awards for her role. She was nominated for over 40 awards for this role in 2013.

12. Hello, My Name is Doris - 2015

We like to imagine that Doris is how Sally Field is in real life. Field plays an eccentric woman in her 60s who gets inspired by a self-help seminar and pursues a younger co-worker played by Max Greenfield. It is a wacky and hilarious film!

Nala92129 17 days ago
She was a "tour de force" in Sybil.
hyppymom 23 days ago
There's a few movies she did that I haven't seen but I certainly am going to now!
JDnHuntsvilleAL 26 days ago
I guess MY favorite is "Hooper." She is SO SEXY in that movie.

Arturus 26 days ago
There will never be an actress like Sally Field. She can be hilarious(Smokey) or Very serious Spiderman. On of the last "Golden Age" actresses.
stealth71 26 days ago
Good grief, how could you leave out Sybil and Steel Magnolias??
kmoriar2 1 month ago
Loved her with James Garner in Murphy's Romance nice little movie
BrianMoore 1 month ago
What? No Celeste in Soapdish? She was hysterical in that.
Pacificsun 1 month ago
Before I read the rest of the comments, IMO the interesting thing about SF is that we don't know much about *her" except what she's delivered on screen. Still, she has a specific personality, like Tom Hanks. But is able to turn that persona into the role she's playing, so you forget SF. One of the few who's truly earned all that recognition. Unlike the article, my hunch is, she's not like any of those characters in reality. And we never need to know.

Mrs. Doubtfire was my favorite, because I liked the entire movie so much!!
Mirramanee Pacificsun 1 month ago
I agreed with all your points right up till the very last sentence. I did not particularly love Sally Field in Mrs. Doubtfire. I felt that was a throwaway role that could have been played by anyone. Ms. Field deserves better roles than that. Not say the movie was bad, by any means. It was absolutely hilarious and I loved Robin Williams in it. But let's face it--he basically steals the entire movie.
Where I think Sally Field really shone was in a two-part made for TV movie called "Sybil". She played a young woman who suffered from multiple personality disorder. I believe she played around 17 different characters, all contained within the one person, Sybil. It was an amazing role and well worth looking it up and watching it if you haven't. This was a role she played in the late '70's, before she really took off in feature films.
KevinHartford 1 month ago
She was amazing in "Sybil" and that was before her big screen career took off.
UTZAAKE 1 month ago
11. Considering the history of Mary Todd Lincoln, Sally Field's role in that film must've been grueling.
Pacificsun UTZAAKE 1 month ago
In what way?
Lillyrose 1 month ago
Sally Field's best role is definitely "Gidget." Funny show! It's too bad that it only lasted a year. I can't imagine why it didn't last longer. Sally Field's best role is definitely "Steel Magnolias." Hilarious! Julia Roberts' best role, too. The article forgot to include "Steel Magnolias."
Pacificsun Lillyrose 1 month ago
Didn't the movie include Shirley MacLane?
Mirramanee Lillyrose 1 month ago
Agree that Steel Magnolias is one of my favorite movies and one of Ms. Field's better roles. However, the entire ensemble cast was brilliant in it. Shirley MacLaine, Olympia Dukakis, Julia Roberts, Dolly Parton and Darryl Hannah had great chemistry with Sally Field in that movie.
zman47240 1 month ago
All around great talent, beauty, and intelligent. Gotta go with Smokey and The Bandit.
Coldnorth zman47240 1 month ago
I’m with you
MrsPhilHarris 1 month ago
I had a giggle where it said “She’s won everything from Oscars to Academy Awards”.
KJExpress MrsPhilHarris 1 month ago
I didn't pick up on that. Too funny! 😆
daDoctah MrsPhilHarris 1 month ago
I like it. I really like it.
One thing about you, MPH, is that you're never sleeping at the switch!

Great catch!!
I don’t usually comment on errors in the stories and quizzes, becauseI figure they have a small staff and these things are written really quickly. For some reason it made me laugh. Not sure why. 🤷‍♀️
I've sort of decided all the errors are part of the "charm" of reading them. LOL
Exactly! 😜
Peter_Falk_Fan 1 month ago
"Are you a fan of Field in The Flying Nun?" I was when I was a kid. It was a fun show to watch. But when I hear her name, the first thing that comes to mind is "Smokey and the Bandit".
hyppymom Peter_Falk_Fan 23 days ago
I'm with you 100%. I loved The Flying Nun when I was a kid and Smokey and the Bandit came out in my early teens when I really noticed her for the way she balanced Burt Reynolds' Smokey.
And those legs!!! Sexy while fully dressed!!!
cperrynaples 1 month ago
Another mistake! The Girl With Something Extra ran on NBC, not ABC! Bonus question: What singer played her husband and what game show did he reboot in the '80's?
PS How could you leave out Sybil? It won her an Emmy!
PSS the story about Hitchcock and SATB is a good one! As a boy, his father tried to scare him by taking him down to a police station, as a result he developed a fear of police officers! When he saw Jackie Gleason as Buford P. Justice, he laughed so hard it cured him!
Michael cperrynaples 1 month ago
I think he was mostly an actor, John Davidson. The $100,000 Pyramid?
Yeah it was a good one.
cperrynaples Michael 1 month ago
He did do Pyramid in the '90's, but I was looking for Hollywood Squares! He's still performing at a New Hampshire theater called [no kidding!] Club Sandwich!
KJExpress cperrynaples 1 month ago
New Hampshire, huh? Interesting. I'll have to see where that Club Sandwich is.
Pacificsun cperrynaples 1 month ago
Because they're researching through print, and not by experience.
Runeshaper 1 month ago
She was great in many roles! My fav to date is Mrs. Doubtfire.
Michael 1 month ago
I saw Norma Rae when it came out. It was the first movie I saw with her. A big contrast to The Flying Nun.
Hulk20 1 month ago
I loved her in the Amazing Spider-Man as Aunt May. She was still very pretty in that movie.
daDoctah Hulk20 1 month ago
She's got a roundabout connection to Spider-Man and Aunt May that goes way farther back. Aunt May in the '70s TV series was played by Jeff Donnell, who had played Gidget's mother in two of the three Gidget movies that were made before Sally's TV version (whose mother was retconned as having died). Miss Donnell also played Sally's mother-in-law in one episode of "The Girl With Something Extra".
Pacificsun daDoctah 1 month ago
Jean Marie "Jeff" Donnell.

Died in her Sixties.
LoveMETV22 1 month ago
Sybil was an obscure role, and she played the part brilliantly. Enjoyed her roles in Norma Rae,
Steel Magnolias, Forest Gump, and Lincoln.