The Baldwin sisters on The Waltons died almost exactly two years apart

Helen Kleeb and Mary Jackson both lived well into their nineties.

Mamie and Emily Baldwin created many great moments on The Waltons. They brought a quirky yet refined charm to the show.

The Baldwins lived nearby and would always drop in with a friendly smile, even if it wasn’t the most opportune moment for the Walton family. The sisters proclaimed the virtues of their father’s “recipe,” which was a lot more alcoholic than they seemed to realize. Emily Baldwin always pined for her lost love, Ashley Longworth, waiting for him to return one day.

The brilliant performances by Helen Kleeb and Mary Jackson were what made the Baldwin sisters so memorable. They were funny, endearing and sophisticated all at the same time. They seemed so much like real sisters, whether they were bickering or supporting each other.

Just like the sisters they played, Kleeb and Jackson shared many things in common. They were both born at the beginning of the twentieth century. The depression hit right as they were entering the entertainment industry but they persevered and eventually made it to Hollywood.

Mary Jackson appeared on many different shows before The Waltons. She acted in My Three Sons, The Fugitive and The Invaders. She was also on The Twilight Zone and The Andy Griffith Show, two shows her future TV sister also performed on. Helen Kleeb plays Mattie Glover in The Twilight Zone episode Jess-Belle. The episode involves an Appalachian girl who asks a witch to make her a love potion. The episode was written by none other than Earl Hamner, Jr. himself, a decade before he created The Waltons!

Both Kleeb and Jackson continued to act through the late 1990s. They reprised their roles as the Baldwin sisters for TV movies A Walton Wedding (1995) and A Walton Easter (1997). Helen Kleeb passed away just shy of her 97th birthday in late December, 2003. Two years later, Mary Jackson died shortly after her 95th birthday in December of 2005.

Watch The Waltons on MeTV!

Weekdays at 12 PM

Save with

RedjacArbez 9 days ago
When this show first aired...I thought it sucked....too saccharine sweet. I was not within the targeted demog. Now 40+ years later......great show.
kathy 14 days ago
I loved the show.always loved that old house.
Smith2017 20 days ago
I just watched one of the Baldwin sister play on Gunsmoke, I think it was Mamie, they were outstanding actress, and Grandma on the Walton, she always threw shade on any women that looked at Grandpa 🤣
ukbsh55 21 days ago
Making money online more than $15k just by doing simple work from home. I have received $18376 last month. Its an easy and simple job to do and its earnings are much better than regular office job and even a little child can do this and earns money. Everybody must try this job by just use the info on this page..
COPY HERE------https://bit.ly/2TRCmch
Dwight 22 days ago
Another TV show they both had in common, post “The Waltons”, was “Star Trek: Deep Space 9”. They were not in any episodes together though.
ETristanBooth Dwight 13 days ago
And Ashley Longworth, Jr. was played by Jonathan Frakes (Star Trek: TNG).
zekezeus1 22 days ago
Loved the Baldwin Sisters! Who could forget Esther Walton throwing shade or giving them “the look” and they were totally oblivious lol. Fantastic acting from three amazing actresses. 👍🏼
Lillyrose 23 days ago
The Baldwin Sisters were hilarious!
JamesTiscareno 24 days ago
They just don't make TV shows like " The Waltons " anymore. It's still a great show. I still enjoy watching reruns when I can and loved the Baldwin sisters.
Rare shows like that come from the depth of the actors' experiences, much of it having to do with theater, and classic training. You just don't see the transition between performers on "Broadway" moving into television that much anymore.
Evelyn 24 days ago
I just love the Waltons! Miss Mamie n Miss Emily is very special ladies on there! They are two of my favorite characters on there. I love where they drive their car! It was so sad when grandpa died!
Agnes 24 days ago
It was so sad when each died.....or anyone on The Waltons for that matter. They felt like family. I still enjoy watching them. Some of the Baldwin Sister episodes were my favorites. I love the episode of The Hot Rod at the end of the series when they find the secret recipe room.