William Shatner acted alongside two of his daughters in Star Trek's ''Miri''

Two Starfleet officers were named after his children, too.

Read to Me

For those who love Trek trivia, "Miri" packs in a lot of easter eggs. For starters, the first-season Star Trek episode filmed its outdoor scenes on the Desilu Forty Acres backlot, best recognized as downtown Mayberry. Seeing an apocalyptic view of Sherif Andy's hometown is a treat.

"Miri" also happened to be a family affair. Kirk, Spock, Bones and Janice Rand beam down to a planet populated by children. Lots of young actors were needed to fill the costumes and scenes. Well, "young." Lead guest star Kim Darby was 19 at the time. Michael J. Pollard was pushing 30. But many of the other adolescents in the show were relations of the cast and creator.

Scott Whitney, son of Grace Lee Whitney (Rand), had a tiny role. Dawn and Darleen Roddenberry were also part of the "Onlies." It must have been bring your child to work day, because William Shatner acted alongside two of his daughters, Leslie and Lisabeth. (Fun fact: Another of the kids, the one in the Army helmet, was Phil Morris, son of Mission: Impossible star Greg Morris. Phil would years later play Lt. John Kelly on Star Trek: Voyager.)

The Everett CollectionShatner playing with daughters Leslie (left) and Lisabeth (right), and dog Morgan, in 1965.

Lisabeth is the easiest to spot — dad picks her up and carries her in his arms. She wears green pants and has the lighter hair.

The elder brunette Leslie sports bangs in her hair like her kid sister. She is costumed in green and purple sequins, making her easier to spot. Up top, she is standing in front of Dawn Roddenberry.

Contrary to some sources, Melanie Shatner does not appear in "Miri." She was only two at the time. If you're wondering, Leonard Nimoy opted to not include his children in the episode, wanting to shield them from showbiz.

This is not the only way Shatner's daughters made an impact on the Original Series. Two Starfleet characters were named in their honor.

Lemli (left) and Leslie (right) were named after Shatner's children.

First, most obviously, there was Lt. Leslie (Eddie Paskey). Another Redshirt, Roger Lemli (Roger Holloway) was named as a combination of LEslie, Melanie and LIsabeth!

See? Star Trek is truly a family show.

Watch Star Trek on MeTV!

Saturdays at 10 PM

ELEANOR 29 days ago
One of William Shatner's daughters apparently became not thrilled about acting halfway through the episode and wanted to quit. But, obviously, that was not an option. Daddy had to put his foot down.
Mirramanee 1 month ago
Stephen McEveety was also in that episode. Stephen is the cousin of Vincent McEveety, who directed several episodes of Star Trek, including, of course, Miri. As an adult, he now works as a film producer and done very well, too.
daDoctah 1 month ago
Okay, Phil Morris may have returned to Trekdom on Star Trek: Voyager, but most people know him best as attorney Jackie Chiles (a parody of Johnny Cochran) on "Seinfeld". (I know a lot about Phil because I discovered he and I were born on the same day.)
Ilovelalaw daDoctah 25 days ago
I first saw Phil Morris in the 1980s reboot of "Mission: Impossible" but the role that I most remember him for is that of Eddie Brock on "WIOU" a much missed show (at least by me!) that unfortunately only ran for 14 episodes (two more were apparently made but never shown). MeTV, please run this show or call upon any of your sister stations (at least ones on Comcast in southeastern Pennsylvania/Philadelphia) to run it. And the same goes for another show that I loved, which unfortunately ran against "WIOU", "Equal Justice". I'd give my eye teeth to see those two shows again. Also, as you probably can tell from my username, I'm a huge fan of "LA Law" and would love to see that one again.
gracie200 1 month ago
I read an article once about Grace Lee Whitney and it said that she had two daughters in that episode - and that was all it said. The article apparently got that very wrong since this article states it was her son; and the other article said nothing about William, Gene, & Greg's children being in it at all. Someone in that other article did not do their homework....shame on them. The article was about her struggles with alcoholism and various other things I don't remember - I wonder if they got that stuff wrong too.
ELEANOR gracie200 29 days ago
Even though I watched the Original Star Trek when it originally on, and also many reruns, I never really remember Grace Lee Whitney appearing.
Pacificsun 1 month ago
So this is just a FYI kind of story then?

I think most TREK TOS fans know.
Some of us enjoy the FYI stories. Those who don't could just skip them.
Oh I love fyi stories! I don't watch Star Trek but I always read these tidbits.
The comment was more of a hint to the staff writers. Meaning that with all the research they've been doing lately on favored series, it might've been interesting to read (taken from an interview or a behind-the-scenes book) what their personal memories are. Surely as children their own experience would be a fascinating tidbit.
The are probably super young and never saw it as kids.
That should be "they" not "the". I need an edit option!