Nicole Kidman and Javier Bardem to play Lucy and Ricky in 'Being the Ricardos'

'Being the Ricardos' will be set behind the scenes of the classic TV show.

The Everett Collection

Read to Me

For half a decade, we have been hearing — and reporting — news of a Lucille Ball biopic. For years, Cate Blanchett was the name attached to play the iconic television pioneer in a project from Aaron Sorkin, the writer behind The Social Network and The West Wing.

After languishing in development, the Amazon Studios film has again picked steam, with new actors attached to play the sitcom stars. Now, Oscar winners Nicole Kidman and Javier Bardem are in negotiations to play Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz in Being the Ricardos, according to Deadline.

We know a little more about the plot, which takes place during a week of production of I Love Lucy, as Lucy and Desi struggle to keep their show and marriage together. Sorkin is now looking to direct the movie, as well.

We are guessing that might actually mean it takes place behind the scenes of The Lucy–Desi Comedy Hour, which ended in 1960, the same year Ball and Arnaz divorced. Ball would have been around Kidman's age around then, 50-ish. But we are speculating.

The production start is still uncertain with the pandemic, which likely means we will not see the results until 2022 at the earliest.

Kidman previously starred in a reboot of Bewitched in 2005. This new gig makes her a bit of a classic-TV revivalist now.

Can you picture Kidman whining, "RICKY-Y-Y!"? Who would you cast to play Lucy?

Pilaf 15 hours ago
Oh, no! Unfortunate casting.
SalIanni 4 days ago
I thought Nicole Kidman did a good job playing Samantha in "Bewitched". It was stupid Will Ferrell who ruined the whole movie. He was awful as Darrin. (I would have cast Jim Carrey.) I'm not as confident about her filling the giant shows that Lucille Ball left. For Lucy and Desi, I would go with their kids Lucie and Desi Jr. They may not be as great as their parents (nobody can) but nobody else knows those parts better.
hermanstein2015 5 days ago
She can't be Lucy, I don't see this being very good..
007 7 days ago
i think lucy was fairly funny but just from some of stories of other people that have met her off camera she did not seem to be a very nice person, of course it could have been just her having a bad day but the public is the ones that paid her salary. i guess some of the actors seem to forgot where their money comes from.
texasluva 8 days ago
Javier Bardem. That's the all time craziest, demonic, lunatic killers of all time in No Country For Old Men In Skyfall he was not far behind. Though love watching them . Have to see how he fares in this.
LittleMissNoName 8 days ago
If that picture above is from the new film, she looks nothing like her(Ball).
HerbF 8 days ago
Actually it's been reported the film will deal with the week in November,1953 when Walter Winchell reported that Lucy had been a member of the communist party and Lucy & Desi working at clearing her name - that she only joined the party to appease her grandfather in the 1930's when she was a struggling actress.

Lucy & Desi must have not had any bad feelings toward Walter Winchell breaking the story, since he was narrator of Desilu's THE UNTOUCHABLES just a few years later.
MrsPhilHarris 9 days ago
I like Nicole Kidman but her face seems so stiff compared to Lucy’s. Debra Messing would be better as far as looks, but I’m not sure she could do drama. It will be interesting to see who gets the role.
justjeff MrsPhilHarris 8 days ago
I've *always* thought that Deborah Messing, with her great comic timing [as displayed on Will & Grace] would be a *perfect* Lucy. I could also see John Leguezamo as Ricky. Any thoughts on this?

Of course, in keeping with Hollywood tradition, they oft times seem to cast people who have little to no resemblence to the historic people they portray in favor of name recognition or "cheaper to hire" players. Well, at least in my unsolicited opinion anyway...
MrsPhilHarris justjeff 8 days ago
I was trying to think who would be a good Desi because I don’t think Javier Bardem has the charm of Desi Arnaz. You may be onto something suggesting John Leguizamo.
justjeff MrsPhilHarris 8 days ago
Now Lucy, I want a lowgical 'splanation of what yur doin'...
justjeff justjeff 8 days ago
Lucy, did you know Nicole Kidman has been chosen to play you in a biopic?

Lucy; Eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwww!
stephaniestavr5 9 days ago
Nicole Kidman looks as much like Lucille Ball as she did when she played Elizabeth Montgomery {I know, It was Samantha she played.} Nothing alike at all. No resemblance whatsoever.
Craigg 9 days ago
Debra Messing, of course.
Load previous comments
cperrynaples, I can say that because I don't know who Jack, Will, Karen and Grace are. I've never heard of them. The title has the same meter as Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice. Is what you are talking about like this movie? I already mentioned that I never had. Never mind. As I for the third time say I don't know who/what you are talking about. Sorry to disappoint you, but we all don't know about everything/everybody. You shouldn't make fun of someone who is uninformed about something, of which others are knowledgeable about.
I doubt he is making fun of you. He is just surprised you have not seen the show. Don’t take it personally. When you mention a typo I made (due to broken hand), I certainly don’t get offended.
Did you break your hand. How did that happen. I hope it heals soon 🙂.
007 daDoctah 7 days ago