Barney Rubble once convinced Fred Flintstone he was Spock

In this commercial, it was Barney who would “live long and prosper” with the stolen Pebbles!

Image credit: Post Consumer Brands

For over 50 years Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles cereal have been associated with Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble, the cornerstone characters of the all-time classic cartoon. It’s been a combo that is still successful to this day, as both kids and adults enjoy the stone-age inspired breakfast, made by Post Consumer Brands.

We’ve seen character-product crossovers before, but Pebbles  and The Flintstones was a historic partnership when the product launched nationwide in 1971.

The cereal, originally titled Sugar Rice Krinkles, wasn’t performing the way Post had wanted it to, so a rebranding was in order. Wanting the cereal to land in the bowls of households across the country, the company went for some of the most recognizable cartoon characters of the time to catch consumers’ eyes.

Meet The Flintstones!

With licensing rights from Hanna-Barbera, which is now a subsidiary of Warner Brothers, Post incorporated Fred and Barney on the boxes of cereal, with the new name: Pebbles. The name was of course inspired by Fred Flintstone’s daughter, also named Pebbles. It was a game-changing move as far as brand/show crossovers went.

“Prior to that time, character licensing had only been used for product promotions. Pebbles cereal became the first brand created around a media character,” according to Post’s website.

Everyone remembers The Flintstones Pebbles commercials, that generally see Barney Rubble attempt (and succeed) in stealing Fred’s Pebbles.

Just like Cocoa Pebbles and Fruity Pebbles have been a morning staple in millions of households for years, Star Trek has been a classic TV staple for millions of fans across the world. The paths of two all-time classic TV shows, Star Trek and The Flintstones crossed, meeting in a 1990s Pebbles commercial.

In another effort to steal some Cocoa Pebbles, Barney is disguised as Spock from Star Trek. It’s clear licensing rights were negotiated for the spot, as Fred calls him “Mr. Spock” and refers to “The Enterprise,” making the commercial that much more appealing. Barney even creates his own communicator, leading him to Bedrock in search of “something super chocolatey!”

Fred graciously offers up his Cocoa Pebbles to “Spock" in exchange for a ride on The Enterprise. He yells, “beam me up” only to wind up in his basement next to Dino, the Flintstones’ pet! Only then does Fred realize it’s Barney behind the big ears of the Spock costume, angrily yelling the classic commercial line, “Barney! My Pebbles!”

The last line of the commercial, before a promotion of the actual product in Fred’s voice, is Barney saying “warp speed ahead” as he tries to escape Fred, who is chasing him and his Cocoa Pebbles.

While it’s not quite The Jetsons Meet the Flintstones crossover, we can say Spock at one point and in some way, used a transporter that landed him in Bedrock, thus producing a multi-show spot that appealed to wide range of consumers.

All while using that timeless Flintstones humor.

MichaelFields 17 days ago
Yes I remember those, and that commercial, I thought it was cool and I think I went out and box one or 20 boxes after that
VAC 20 days ago
BuckeyeBeth 20 days ago
I had completely forgotten that there was a whole series of commercials were Barney would steal Fred’s pebbles cereal. I remember I was always very satisfied that Barney got Fred’s cereal after all of the rotten things that Fred did to Barney in the cartoon 😆. I’m not sure if I actually remember this commercial or not or just have enough knowledge of the commercials that I can picture the action in my head from your description. Thank you for the reminder MeTV!👍

After searching out this commercial on YouTube and watching it again I can safely say I do not remember this one at all lol.
Snickers 21 days ago
Don't ever remember seeing that commercial.
top_cat_james_1 22 days ago
There's a lengthy article regarding the history of Post Pebbles cereal in the current issue of RETRO FAN Magazine (#21 July 2022) by cartoonist Scott Shaw! (exclamation point part of his name) who wrote and art-directed hundreds of the Pebbles TV spots. He writes that Post paid Paramount Pictures $50,000 for usage of the Mr. Spock character, and expressed disappointment that Barney wasn't allowed to be referred to as "Mr. Rock".
15inchBlackandWhite 22 days ago
About three decades earlier though the brand BECAME a media character when they launched a Saturday morning cartoon show featuring Sugar Bear and other characters from Post cereals.
Runeshaper 22 days ago
Both versions of the cereal are delicious! Drinking the milk afterwards was always tasty too. There are also 2 low carb protein powders based off of those flavors and they are also delicious! (-:
bagandwallyfan52 23 days ago
METV:
Please have an ARTICLE on ALAN
REED who did the voice of Fred
Flintstone and he appeared as
himself on various TV Shows.
On Petticoat Junction Alan Reed
Played a Bank Robber.

PS ALAN REED was an excellent Character Actor.
FUN FACT
Voice Actor Arthur Q Bryan did
the cartoon voices of BOTH
EGGHEAD and ELMER FUDD in
Looney Tunes.
Please do an article on Mel Blanc who was one of the persons who did the voice of
Bugs Bunny in Looney Tunes.
THAT'S ALL FOLKS!!!!!!!!!!
"Please do an article on Mel Blanc." They have ( several)

"METV:
Please have an ARTICLE on ALAN REED."

( the article is mainly about Reed).
On Some of the Looney Tunes
ELMER FUDD was heavyset
Instead of being thin.
In the Looney Tunes where
Elmer Fudd was heavyset He
was modeled after Voice Actor
Arthur Q Bryan who was heavyset and he was the voice
Of Elmer Fudd.
On the Popeye Cartoons why
was the name BLUTO changed
to BRUTUS and then changed
back to BLUTO?
Popeye had a sailor friend SHORTY who appeared in a few
Popeye Cartoons and later
SHORTY Disappeared with no
explanation.What happened to
SHORTY? Also why did Popeye
wear two different uniforms in the old cartoons??
Did the Sea Hag also vanish from Popeye cartoons and was
the Sea Hag related to BRUTUS?
MrsPhilHarris 23 days ago
Have never eaten Pebbles. My mother wouldn’t buy cereal like that. Too much sugar or some lame excuse.
Load previous comments
KJExpress MrsPhilHarris 21 days ago
We'd get the variety packs when we went camping. I liked the Fruit Loops, but I ate them right out of the box, no milk. I think there were also Frosted Flakes, but those got so soggy! 😝 I can remember eating Rise Krispies at my grandmother's house and listening to the "snap, crackle and pop" sounds. Then I put sugar on them in my milk. Sheesh! 🤪
My parents wouldn’t buy the sugary cereals either. Partly because I think they were too cheap but mainly because the doctor told them it would be a bad idea to feed sugar to two hyperactive kids under the age of 10. The closest we got to sugary cereals was either Rice Krispies or Honeycombs. Little did they know we would sneak into the kitchen and add a teaspoon or two of sugar to our cereal so we could feel the sugar high while watching Saturday Morning Cartoons.

I was either 9 or 10yo before I tasted any of the Pebbles, Fruit Loops or Sugar Smacks (now marketed as Honey Smacks). My friends were horrified and felt very sorry for us having such mean parents lol. We finally broke my dad down to buy those little multi-packs of miscellaneous cereal in those tiny little boxes that you cut open and used as a bowl. But it only happened during the summer while we were camping. I think his logic was we would burn off the sugar running through the woods or the sand.

But as Peter Falk Fan said we would try to beg for whichever cereal had the best toy. Luckily for us all of the cereals seem to have toys to try to compete with each other. I think I still have a pink plastic race car with a metal marble in the middle to weigh it down from a cereal box. I know I used to have more than a couple of back of the box 45 records.
We got those little boxes when we went to our cabin. It was a huge treat!
Milk is the biggest treat to
Put on cereal.
daDoctah 23 days ago
I wonder if Fred and Barney ever gave any thought to the cereal's earlier cartoon mascot when it was called Rice Krinkles.

(Before So Hi, the mascot was a live-action clown.)
LoveMETV22 23 days ago
Fun story. Hopefully a boost for both Post and The Star Trek Franchise.
KJExpress LoveMETV22 23 days ago
Thanks for posting this. I had never seen it before. 🖖😐
Amalthea LoveMETV22 20 days ago
I remember this.
Pacificsun 23 days ago
Cutest Story!

1960 to 1966 = Flintstones
1966 to 1969 = ST:TOS
1990 = Pebbles Commercial!

𝒜𝓂𝒶𝓏𝒾𝓃𝑔!

Talk about a Pop Culture Time Warp!