How well do you remember the Halloween episode of Star Trek?

Boo me up, Scotty!

Though there is a Christmas party in "Dagger of the Mind," Star Trek: The Original Series did not truly make a special Christmas episode. Despite all the women Kirk kissed, they did not film a Valentine's Day episode, either.

No, the only holiday Star Trek overtly celebrated with a dedicated episode was Halloween.

"Catspaw" was the first episode filmed for season two, though the network wisely held it back until October 27, 1967, the week of Halloween.

"Trick or treat, captain?" Spock asks. "Yes, Mister Spock. You'd be a natural," Kirk answers.

"Dust, cobwebs — Halloween is right," Bones notes as the landing party wanders a spooky castle. The episode is filled with skeletons, shadows and eerie creatures. Let's see how well you remember it!

Watch Star Trek on MeTV!

Saturdays at 10 PM

1. What color is the cat that the crew encounters?
  2. Who turns into these two little shrimps?
  3. What is the name of this fellow, played by Theo Marcuse?
  4. What is the name of this mysterious women, played by Antoinette Bower?
  5. Does Kirk kiss her?
  6. When the Enterprise landing party arrives on the planet, they encounter three of these eerie creatures.
  7. What is the name of the planet?
  8. What does she do to the Enterprise?
  9. See? It's not so bad being a Redshirt. This guy is left in command of the Enterprise. What is his name?
  10. Which crew member is NOT being mind-controlled by the aliens here?
  11. What do the aliens call their "magic wand"?
  12. This member of the crew dies in the opening scene. Kirk mentions him twice in his Captain's log.
  13. "Catspaw" was adapted from the short story "Broomstick Ride" by this prolific author. He also wrote the teleplay for the episode.

How well do you remember the Halloween episode of Star Trek?

Save with

daDoctah 5 days ago
There's a great little gag that some people may have missed in the scene shown above, in the picture at the top of the article. When Kirk and McCoy start to come to chained to the wall of the dungeon, the captain is about to call out "Bones?" when he spots the skeleton hanging nearby, and switches to "Doctor?"
EllisClevenger 6 days ago
You got 10 out of 13
You sure figured that one out! You deserve to be called captain!
Missed #4, #5, and #12.
I saw this episode, twice. Original and rerun.
Regretted watching both times.
Jhlow 13 days ago
Is MeTV available on Hulu, Netflix, or similar venues?
cperrynaples Jhlow 6 days ago
Duh,it's a TV channel! I think you meant to say is it on a live streaming service and the answer is no! However, many of the MeTV classics are on these services, where you can watch without commercials or edits!
MichaelNivens 13 days ago
4/13
one of the worst episodes
I disagree and your score is more reflective on you than the episode.
bigjimbroni 13 days ago
Dr. McCoy: "Mr. Spock. You'd be a natural."
Pacificsun 13 days ago
For a recurring TV series, it's difficult to create holiday themed episodes, because it dates them (usually) meaning they can only be run during the holidays. At least during their early syndication run. But Catspaw is such a classic Star Trek episode anyway, that it transcends "Halloween" instead focusing on the alien nature of the story line. There are actually very few references to "Halloween" in the script, but of course it speaks to the fans' special interest in the holiday anyway. The cat is (of course) the biggest symbol being utilized. I think that's why the episode runs so well, even today. it could stand alone without those references!
Bret 13 days ago
You got 13 out of 13
You sure figured that one out! You deserve to be called captain!
Barry22 14 days ago
3/13, one of the worst episodes, won't even watch it now.
djw1120 Barry22 13 days ago
I agree.
I've got 74 episodes from the original series saved on my DVR and this is NOT one of them.
Every time it comes on the air, I have to delete it so it doesn't record.
gracie200 Barry22 13 days ago
12/13 - missed #12 about the crew member that died in the beginning. i'm ok with the episode (although it's not my favorite) but i really didn't care much for antoinette bower.
garykevinware djw1120 6 days ago
Again, I disagree, and what are the other 4 episodes that you wouldn't watch? There are about 25 episodes that I could do without seeing again.
DIGGER1 14 days ago
How well do you remember the Halloween episode of Star Trek?
You got 10 out of 13
You sure figured that one out! You deserve to be called captain!
cperrynaples 14 days ago
8/13 and yes they were guesses since I didn't see that episode!
I consider you, very, very, lucky.
You certainly have not missed anything.
Stoney 14 days ago
13 for 13. Ironically enough, it is the first episode of "Star Trek" that I ever watched.
richardkel Stoney 14 days ago
Actually one of the better ones. I also like the one with the silicon creatures that live under the planet surface and communicated telepathically. They killed people with acid produced by their bodies. Actually there was only 1 creature in the episode. It's job was to protect the eggs so that the species could survive. I loved that they found a way to keep from killing it and letting the creatures coexist, and even help the miners on the planet.
djw1120 richardkel 13 days ago
Actually there is no evidence that the Hortas communicated via telepathy.
And, yes, there was only one left - the mother - to look after the "eggs".
She killed the miners because they were killing her "babies".
It was only after Spock contacted her via the Vulcan Mind Meld that they realized what was going on.
That was the same episode where Bones said: "Damnit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!"
Then later he said: "By golly Jim, I'm beginning to think I can cure a rainy day!"
garykevinware djw1120 6 days ago
If Spock contacted it by the Vulcan mind meld, are you saying that the Horta didn't communicate telepathically but Spock just read its mind?
KellyShort 14 days ago