Can you tell the difference between classic psychedelic bands and breakfast cereals?

Try not to put Silver Apples in your mouth.

The late '60s and early '70s were a groovy time for both your taste buds and ears. Things were far more colorful and quirky in the psychedelic era — especially products aimed at the youth.

Kids back then would pour a big bowl of sugary cereal and watch Saturday morning cartoons. Heck, you could listen to "Sugar, Sugar" on The Archies while shoveling spoonfuls of Sugar Smacks.

The line between pop culture and breakfast was blurred so much that cereal boxes came with records on the back.

So, the question we're asking is: Can you tell the difference between a psychedelic band and a cereal brand from that era? Good luck!
  1. Was the Lovin' Spoonful a band or a cereal?
  2. Was Strawberry Alarm Clock a band or a cereal?
  3. Was Strawberry Kombos a band or a cereal?
  4. Was Sir Grapefellow a band or a cereal?
  5. Was Electric Prunes a band or a cereal?
  6. Was Shocking Blue a band or cereal?
  7. Was Blues Magoos a band or cereal?
  8. Was Great Goodstuff a band or cereal?
  9. Was Vanilla Fudge a band or cereal?
  10. Was Tangerine Dream a band or cereal?
  11. Was Magic Puffs a band or cereal?
  12. Was Quangaroos a band or cereal?
  13. Was Mr. Wonderfull's Surprize a band or cereal?
  14. Was Pink Fairies a band or cereal?
  15. Was Crispy Critters a band or cereal?
  16. Was Cornflake Zoo a band or cereal?
  17. Was Wackies a band or cereal?

Share your results:
Save with

Click here to learn about MeTV's new commenting system!
Lacey 22 hours ago
16/17 Which begs the question, do I know my cereals or do I know my psychedelic bands?
KimThornadtsson 6 days ago
15/17 Never heard of some of those bands/cereals so had to guess on some. Good quiz, though.
MrBill 7 days ago
14/17; very tough quiz. Had to guess a lot. A lot of those names given were obscure lesser know bands and cereals.
Barry22 9 days ago
15/17 missed #16 & #17. Some of these bands I never heard of. But I did have stuff from Tangerine Dream. They were like Kraftwerk. (Kraftwork?)
UTZAAKE 10 days ago
16/17. Foiled by #13. The first twelve were simple. #15 was the only slam dunk among the last five. Good quiz.
AndrewHass 10 days ago
I was 8/17 but since i guessed on most of them i think i did okay
anthony 10 days ago
16/17.I knew the right answer to #13,but some how that information never got to my finger.
teire 10 days ago
17/17. Incense, peppermints.
LeeHarper 10 days ago
You got 16 out of 17
Wow, that made us hungry. But we're not sure if we're craving fuzz guitar or corn puffs.
stephaniestavropoulos 10 days ago
14/17. {One of the names: Magic Puffs sounds like a Psychedelic! "Hey man! I just scored me some Magic Puffs! Lets go back to my pad and drop some for a far out trip!"}
I hadn't had any box cereal in years. that's all changed. Back in February, I spent 2 weeks in the hospital {they sprung me on Valentine's Day!} You know how you are able to choose what you want for your meals? {That is if you aren't restricted, of course.} Well, for breakfast I chose cereal. I think my first one in years was Rice Krispies. Then for each morning, I chose others. Well, when I got sprung, I have continued to order box cereal. I've rediscovered Frosted Flakes, Lucky Charms, Cheerios {which is one of the ones I had in the hospital, this time I tried chocolate and fruit flavored. Not bad!} Corn Flakes, {Froot Loops, Which is the cereal in the photo I believe.} I've tried Trix {don't believe I had that as a kid.} I don't eat them with milk, I eat them right out of the box!
As a child, I never ate cereal with milk like most people. I always just loved watching TV and snacking right out of the box. My favorites were Rice Krispies, Super Sugar Smacks and Rice Krinkles (which were basically honey-coated Rice Krispies). The first time I tried cereal with milk was when I went away to college, believe it or not. To this day, I still love eating certain cereals right out of the box and not with milk. Honey Nut Cheerios and Honey Bunches of Oats are my current faves.
Stephanie, I hope you are fully recovered and feeling better after a few months at home. Have you tried the maple flavored Cheerios? They are sweetly addictive whether with milk or by the handful.
Thanks for asking Teire. I don't know if If I'm fully recovered, or not. While I was in the hospital, I developed a kidney infection, {due to the fact they were IVing a # of medicines into my system to see what one would work. Aside from the IV, there were a # of days where I had about a 6 pill a day cocktail. So I think I have to answer Nature's call more often than I used to, {because of the infection.} but that could also be a sign of that I'm getting up in years. Sorry, I didn't mean to go on, so. There is someone on this site who was razzing me that I talked so much. {It's on one of the quiz pages. My only response was that I just gave how well I did he was wondering {I know darn well he was being snarky and sarcastic!} what happened to "your usual long winded comments," or something like that. cperrynaples came to my rescue, and said something like I didn't feel like saying very much. Thanks for the suggestion about the maple Cheerios. I have tried the honey one, which I was surprised I ended up liking, I'm not overly fond of honey. Maybe I'll like the maple. Thanks for the suggestion, and thanks for inquiring about me. I hope you are feeling fine, as well, teire!
Thanks Stephanie. Hang in there and enjoy the cereal.
I love your posts. I look forward to them.
Thank you MrsPhilHarris. You have no idea how much you saying that means to me. I have read others saying it to other people, and I have said it myself, but as those who know that have had those words said to them, it means a great deal! I feel the same about yours {posts} and {with one exception and seeing as you obviously read my last one, you know the gentleman I am speaking about.} But hey, everyone's entitled to their opinions and to exercise their right of free speech. So I don't hold a grudge.
Writing all of this has reminded me of the following lyrics. {I won't quote the entire song, just a few choice lines.} Do you, does anybody remember the '70's kids travel show called THE BIG BLUE MARBLE?
"...Folks are folks and kids are kids we share a common name....Peace and love we all understand, and laughter we use the very same brand....Our differences our problems from out there there's not much trace,...while looking at the face of the BIG BLUE MARBLE in space." In the immortal words of the late Peter Tork: "...We will make the world shine....We were born to love one another...." End of sermon! Thanks again for your kind words of encouragement.