Take an early look at the new Perry Mason coming in 2020

The new reboot brings the character back to his Great Depression origins.

Image: HBO

Raymond Burr will be forever associated with the role of Perry Mason, but he was the eighth actor to play the ace attorney. Burr began playing Perry on television in 1957; the character dates back to 1933. In between, the cases of the criminal defense lawyer entertained Americans on the big screen (beginning with Warren William in The Case of the Howling Dog) and on the radio (beginning with Bartlett Robinson in 1943).

Now, a new performer has joined the pantheon of Perry Mason portrayers. Matthew Rhys, the two-time Golden Globe winner for The Americans and the recent star of A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, is slipping into the suit to play the Erle Stanley Gardner character.

HBO

HBO will air a limited series, once again simply titled Perry Mason, in 2020. To put a fresh spin on the character, the plot reads more like an origin story set in 1931 Los Angeles. The central crime of the tale concerns a child kidnapping.

John Lithgow, Tatiana Maslany, Stephen Root and Lili Taylor also costar.

HBO

In the first advance look released in November, Rhys sports more of a Columbo look with a tan raincoat. The vintage automobile in the background reinforced the Great Depression setting.

Last night, before the season finale of Watchmen, HBO aired a network preview for 2020 which included a few brief snippets of footage.

You can watch it below. HBO has yet to announce a specific release date for the reboot.

Watch Perry Mason on MeTV!

Weekdays at 9 AM
Weeknights at 11:30 PM

Save with

Gary 1 month ago
love watching perry mason on metv, lost my access on Jan. 1 after rescanning, any suggestions on how I get my antenna to pick up again. Habe re scanned about 5 times, moving my antenna with no luck. thanks
Mike 2 months ago
This is NOT Erle Stanley Gardner's Perry Mason.
HBO is doing a Philip Marlowe knockoff and tagging the Mason name to it.
This never works.
It won't work now.
NancyAndrews 2 months ago
I loved medical center with Chad Everett. Saw it in the 70s would love to have it back haven't seen no reruns of it at all.
Mario500 2 months ago
"HBO will air a limited series, once again simply titled Perry Mason, in 2020."

(dislikes titling of the "series" due to a certain other "series" (or TV program) having had been titled the same way)
Bill 2 months ago
I was not a perry mason fan in my early years. But, since MeTV has been airing it, I started from the beginning and am now a huge fan. I enjoy the America I grew up in where men were men and women were elegant. Also, people took pride in every aspect of wholesome life, interrupted by a murder , of course. Paul Drake is my favorite. And, I'm in love with Della. I look forward to a new Perry Mason but fear HBO will 'Politically correct' it to the unwatchable level they have achieved in most of their series. Shame on HBO for their anti white and anti-American values stance. Lets hope there are a few level heads over there.
chattymonkeydon Bill 2 months ago
Lots of dog whistles there showing your true character, Bill. I reckon you want to live in a time where women stayed in the kitchen and black people weren't allowed to eat in the same restaurant as you. The 50's America you see on tv was a fantasy world. It wasn't so great for the non-white, non-straight, non-Christian Americans that lived then.
Afsocsarge Bill 2 months ago
What Do You Consider "Anti White" and "Anti American" ?
-Sarge
I fear YOU showed your "True Colors".
John chattymonkeydon 1 month ago
You NPC's all sound the same.