Do you know the first names of these classic TV detectives?

Are you on familiar terms with Columbo, Monk and Mannix?

You know a detective is cool when he only needs one name — Columbo, Kojak, Baretta. Boiled down, to the point. These kind of shows were particularly popular in the Seventies when the likes McCloud, Cannon and Banacek were on the case.

We've gathered some of our favorite one-name detectives. Of course, they had full names. Do you remember their first names?

Watch Monk on MeTV!

Two Full Hours

Sundays at 8 PM

1. Though never stated, the first name of Columbo can be seen on his badge a few times throughout the series. What is it?
  2. _______ Monk
  3. _______ Mannix
  4. _______ Kojak
  5. ______ Magnum, P.I.
  6. _______ Cannon
  7. _______ Baretta
  8. _______ Banacek
  9. ______ Hunter
  10. _______ McCloud
  11. _______ McMillan & Wife
  12. _______ Toma
  13. After leaving Gunsmoke, Burt Reynolds played _______ Hawk.

Do you know the first names of these classic TV detectives?

Dajj 2 months ago
9/13 some of the shows I didnt watch much.
ThomasPotter 2 months ago
Toma? Never heard of that one...
country46 2 months ago
we need kojack and baretta instead of monk hate that show
ThomasPotter country46 2 months ago
then don't watch it. Simple
Susan00100 3 months ago
IMHO, MANNIX should have had a concluding episode with Mannix marrying Peggy. TV's first interracial marriage.
MikefromJersey Susan00100 3 months ago
Hi Susan,
That reminds me, Pernell Roberts would have stayed on Bonanza if they had gone along with
his idea of marrying a Black woman. NBC suits nearly fainted at the thought and how all
their affiliates in southern states would have reacted. He then compromised, how about
Adam marrying an American Indian, but no go. Instead they did a couple of episodes
with him wooing Darren McGavin's wife, the beautiful blonde actress Kathie Brown.
That was the last straw for the intellectual Roberts, who had wanted more serious
story lines. Producer Dortort later on explored many explosive civil rights issues
and even thinly veiled Vietnam War commentary in the grossly over looked Western
classic "High Chaparral". Unlike Hoss and Joe going to town for beers, the men of
Chaparral went in looking for women, many plainly hookers. In the first episode
Buck takes his young nephew in to town to get, um, friendly with a saloon girl.
Ben never did that for Joe and Hoss.
Check out David Greenland's book on Bonanza, he will even tell you of "Hoss's"
role as a zombie monster from Venus on a 3 Stooges episode.
vonabee18 MikefromJersey 2 months ago
Where did you read that? Roberts was also known for his lifelong activism, which included participation in the Selma to Montgomery marches in 1965 and pressuring NBC to refrain from hiring White people to portray minority characters/ AKA Whitewashing. He felt his talent was wasted on the show because everything the sons did they had to ask Dad for permission, so the guys basically had no life other than working the land and doing what Pop wanted. Even if the producers had allowed any of the boys to wed it dam sure wouldn't have been a black woman. I loved Bonanza but Lil Joe, Adam, or Hoss were too white for the audience to believe that they could love or have a black wife. No way would it be believable at all. JMO
MikefromJersey vonabee18 2 months ago
Hi Vonabee, I read it in the book I cited, David Greenland's "Bonanza. A Viewers Guide To The
TV Legend". Greenland hit it off with the producer Dortort who supplied much insight.
I contributed one or two tiny items, David Greenland was nice enough to send me a tape
of Bonanza out takes given him by Dortort which no one else had(at the time, who knows
now). As for the cast being "too white", whatever that means, you might recall the boys
had romantic moments with both Indian and Mexican women. It was the network that
would have stopped any dalliance with a Black woman, not the characters as they were
created. Bonanza was ahead of its time in many respects, see the outstanding episode
with Lou Gossett. How about when Hop Sing fell in love with a white woman, and she
with him? A two part episode where a Mormon is the good guy. Veiled commentary
about Civil Rights by Hoss when he talked about his leprechaun pals? I would agree,
they had to do it that way with cute leprechauns when they would have preferred
having Hoss doing that with Black people. But it was 50 years ago, the stations in
the south would have revolted, so the producers did the best they could.
Anyway Vonabee, check out the book, I think you will enjoy it. And the opening
in the preface, about the kid who was about to shoplift but then saw Hoss on
a lunchbox and put the item back, was me. Corny yes but true and it shows
TV does influence kid's morals.
country46 MikefromJersey 2 months ago
you got some good points
MikefromJersey country46 2 months ago
Thank you Country46. I'll buy you and little Joe a beer the next time you are in Virginia City.
Susan00100 3 months ago
12/13. I really like these quizzes.
RickBrosh 3 months ago
11/13. Missed Hunter (whose first name I never heard) and Toma (which I never before heard of). Guessed correctly on Hawk, which I also had never heard of. The rest seemed fairly easy. Hardest of the rest for me was Baretta.
Beatseeker 3 months ago
also...monk is a POS! you could do better, metv...
Susan00100 Beatseeker 3 months ago
I agree. Why can't MeTV air COLD CASE or MURDER, SHE WROTE?
Moverfan Susan00100 2 months ago
If you have cable/satellite, Murder She Wrote is on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries. If you don't (or your provider doesn't offer that channel), download the Peacock app--they have all twelve seasons.
ThomasPotter Beatseeker 2 months ago
Ughh, I am so tired of all this whining about Monk. If you don't like the show, CHANGE THE CHANNEL It is so simple.
Beatseeker 3 months ago
rockford files was better than any of these...
tpajay 3 months ago
Of course, there are many detective/police shows that could have been part of this quiz but 2 that I thought of right away were "Serpico" & "Delvecchio".
gockionni 3 months ago
12/13 - idk, did I enjoy watching Monk? I don’t remember
MarkSpeck 3 months ago
13 out of 13. Know and love my detectives!
paulat0805 3 months ago
Any one of the detective shows mentioned in the quiz would have been a better addition to ME’s Sunday night line up than Monk!!
glamisgal paulat0805 3 months ago
I have to agree. Monk doesn’t fit my MeTV
thetanvanman paulat0805 3 months ago
I concur. Only drama shows prior to 1995 (my initial feelings are 1980 but Matlock and Heat of the Night seem to be a decent fit-at least they are 25+ years old). Sit-coms no later than 1975. Bring back Rockford files and/or original Hawaii 5-0.
Moverfan thetanvanman 2 months ago
How about Barney Miller? I know it's on Antenna TV, but Monk is on H&I and Hallmark Movies & Mysteries at the moment, so it may not be a problem.
audie65 3 months ago
Toma was on like one season around 75 or so. Was actually pretty good!
MarkSpeck audie65 3 months ago
The '73-'74 season. It wasn't canceled because of ratings, it was canceled because Tony Musante quit the show, claiming he didn't want to be a star, of all things. The producers revamped the show, brought in Robert Blake (who DID want to be a star) and renamed the show Baretta.
Oldielover 3 months ago
11/13....Missed Banacek and Hawk. I have 0% knowledge of this TOMA show,but I got it right! lol! Good quiz!
cynkgreen Oldielover 3 months ago
Me too, never heard of Toma...
Michael Oldielover 3 months ago
Felix the bookstore owner, and information source, was the only one to call Banacek by his first name, "Thomas".
MarkSpeck cynkgreen 3 months ago
Toma was based on real-life cop Dave Toma, who incidentally played a bit part in every episode. This series (created by Stephen J. Cannell) was one of the by-products of the movie The French Connection. The success of that movie led to TV producers trying to copy that show in one way or another (i.e., any way they could get real-life cops to participate, they did). Eddie Egan, the real-life cop on whom Popeye Doyle was based, became an actor who specialized in cop roles on TV. His partner Sonny Grosso became a producer of cop shows. Joe Wambaugh created Police Story. Burton Armus also got into the production end of cop shows. I'm sure there were others.
Susan00100 Michael 3 months ago
I LOATHED that show! Such blatant sexism is disgusting!!
AnnieM MarkSpeck 2 months ago
'Police Story' is one of those I was too young to be interested in during it's original run, so I've never seen any. I'd love to see them now, though, so I wish MeTV or somebody would stream them.