Do you agree with these fashion rules?

To mix patterns or not to mix patterns, that is the question.

There are some rules of thumb that should be followed to the letter because, at the end of the day, it's just good advice. Leave your house five minutes earlier than you need to. Look both ways before crossing the street. Pack an extra pair of socks when traveling. These are things that most people can agree are solid day-to-day practices.

When it comes to fashion rules, however, it seems there is some argument over which ones to follow and which can be ignored. For example, the phrase "don't wear white after Labor Day" has been thrown around for generations, but it actually got it's start as a smart way to beat the heat.

by

In the early 1900s, families who could afford to do so would travel for months at a time during the summer. To help beat the heat, their wardrobes were primarily light pastels and white. By the first Monday in September, the summer whites were put away until the following Memorial Day, and thus began the fashion rule.

With one hundred years between us and the fashion of the past, surely the times have changed enough to bend the rules? It seems that not everyone agrees! We've come up with a list of common fashion do's and don'ts.

Now, it's up to you. Do you agree with these popular fashion rules?

Watch The Brady Bunch on MeTV!

Sundays at 12 PM

1. Let's start with some recent events: is it OK to wear white between Labor Day and Memorial Day?
  2. Can you mix the colors black and brown in an outfit?
  3. How about black and navy?
  4. Should your belt match your shoes?
  5. In that case, should your shoes match your purse or handbag?
  6. Horizontal stripes are unflattering. Ye or nay?
  7. Denim on denim. Is it a good look?
  8. Let's discuss jewelry. Can silver and gold be mixed in one outfit?
  9. OK, how about this; can a button-down shirt be worn untucked?
  10. Are peep-toe shoes and pantyhose a match made in heaven?
  11. Suits should either be black or a sensible navy. Thoughts?
  12. Imagine plaid, paisley and polka-dots, all in one outfit. Is mixing patterns permitted?

Do you agree with these fashion rules?

Save with

CarrieMcCourt 9 days ago
83% similar
I wear what I wear and I don't care. Don't like it? ---- don't look.
MaryHelen 10 days ago
sometimes it's not a "rule" jus a persdonal preference-- i do not like misxing silver and gold--unless it right on the necklace or bracelet itself, whihc i do have
MaryHelen 10 days ago
FYI- toeless pantyhose! always with any peep toes shoes- can't be seen DUH!!
TravisRBaxter 14 days ago
I am making a good MONEY (500$ to 700$ / hr )online on my Ipad .Last month my pay check of nearly 30 k$.This online work is like draw straight-arrow and earn  not go to office.I do not claim to be others,I just work.You will call yourself after doing this JOB,It's a REAL job.Will be very lucky to refer to this WEBSITE.I hope,you can find something,Simply go to the below SITE.GOOD LUCK◐◐★★★★★www.feed.pays12.com
WilliamKDaigle 14 days ago
My real time work with facebook Im making over $2000 a month operating low maintenance. I continued hearing distinctive people divulge to me how an lousy lot cash they can make on line so I selected to research it. All topics considered, it become all legitimate and has without a doubt changed my life. For more statistics visit below site.... HERE☛......www.max.pays12.com
UTZAAKE 14 days ago
66% similar. That was fun.
2. Seal brown is so dark that it appears as black under most light levels.
3. This is very tricky. That color on the right IS navy blue which almost looks like traditional royal blue (not to be confused with the lighter shade that's now called "royal blue"). Yankees and midnight blue are two shades that generally look black.
6. There's a reason why lots of soccer teams have vertical stripes instead of hoops.
11. The only suit I own was purchased during the yuppy era in the 1980s, is an almost-black charcoal gray and makes me look like a stiff. Next suits i'm going to buy will be two-toned.
Amalthea 14 days ago
The thing is, the shade of blue they show - which is NOT navy - is lovely with black. ACTUAL navy with black? No way. Too close and it makes one of them look off.
garykevinware 15 days ago
I'm reminded of the Leave It To Beaver episode, Wally's New Suit, where Wally picks out a great looking suit but is maneuvered in to changing to a conservative suit. Also, here's Sam the Snowman's take on silver and gold, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY-XDQN6ipE
daDoctah 15 days ago
I figured out that "two plains and a fancy" wasn't necessarily a rule, but you had to be careful about the *scale* of the patterns you combined. If the stripes on your tie were spaced about as far apart as the checks on the coat, that was a problem, but wide stripes with a small houndstooth was fine, as was a pinstripe or seersucker jacket over a large-print Hawaiian shirt.

And then Regis Philbin showed us how to wear a dark tie over a dark shirt with a dark suit coat, so you didn't always have to have at least one pattern either.
jholton30062 15 days ago
50% similar. I must be an iconoclast...
ELEANOR 16 days ago
Tucking in a shirt vs. untucked -- If you're going casual like that guy in the denim shirt, yes untucked looks ok. But if you're wearing a dress shirt, then TUCK IT IN. And throw on a tie. Nothing looks worse on a game show to have a tieless contestant next to the host in a suit and tie.
JeffTanner 16 days ago
''66% similar'' -----------66% similar to the most popular responses.
Runeshaper 17 days ago
75% similar
75% similar to the most popular responses
Barry22 17 days ago
75%, but I've seen outfits from the 70's that pretty much threw away the rulebook on fashion.
stephaniestavropoulos 17 days ago
To heck with rules. I don't care about them. As I was typing this, I was wearing a blue snake print t shirt, w/pants that have green tropical leaves on them. I think it's stupid to have rules for clothing/accessories. There's no law that says you can't wear a paisley/checked shirt, w/tie dyed pants, or plaid pants w/a polka dot and floral top. You are not going to get arrested. You are not committing any crime. The only thing you are running a risk for, is for folks to stare and possibly either to tell you to your face or behind your back, their critique for your choice of an outfit. If that doesn't bother you, then great, have at it! I know it doesn't bother me. I am not hurting anybody with my choice of color schemes and patterns. Too bad if they don't like it. I don't say anything to anybody about their wardrobe. I MAY think it, but I don't verbalize it.
Good for you for not caring what people think. You are an individualist!
I am a card carrying, proud member, of this organization!
My thoughts exactly. If I feel comfortable with what I wear that's all that matters. Why should I be concerned with what others think? 😂