Did these characters exist on TV in the 1980s?

See how well you remember Eighties television.

The '80s gave us countless, timeless fictional characters. They're still making movies about many of them. Television was rich with memorable characters.

Of course, the other decades gave us some classic characters, too.

See if you can remember if the following fictional characters were ever on TV in the 1980s. It's a simple yes or no question. You have a 50-50 shot! Good luck!
  1. Was ALF on television in the 1980s?
  2. Was Thelma Harper on television in the 1980s?
  3. Were Ren and Stimpy on television in the 1980s?
    Image: The Everett Collection
  4. Was the Fonz on television in the 1980s?
  5. Was Data on television in the 1980s?
  6. Was Jay Leno the full-time host of The Tonight Show in the 1980s?
    Image: The Everett Collection
  7. Was Dr. Mark Sloan on television in the 1980s?
  8. Was Matlock on television in the 1980s?
  9. Was FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper on television in the 1980s?
    Image: The Everett Collection
  10. Was Perry Mason on television in the 1980s?
  11. Was Xena on television in the 1980s?
  12. Was the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air on television in the 1980s?
    Image: AP Photo / Julie Markes
Did these characters exist on TV in the 1980s?

Share your results:
Save with
Enjoy even more classic shows on-air! Find where to watch MeTV in Washington, DC

Click here to learn about MeTV's new commenting system!
JeffTanner 7 days ago
You got8 out of 12 ------------Looks like this one put you in a trance. Better luck next time!
ClassicLover 8 days ago
Only 7/12. Oh well, next one should be better
Geronimo 8 days ago
A couple of trick questions. They need to re-phrase these questions next time, otherwise I would have had a perfect score....................................10/12
RobertDean 9 days ago
8/12. Not too bad, considering my job prevented me from ever watching primetime TV in the 80s.
Kevin 10 days ago
12/12. Not to sound cocky, I figured I had this.
DanShamberger 10 days ago
Ren and Stimpy premiered in 1991, not 1990.
jholton30062 10 days ago
10/12. I thought Jay Leno took over for Johnny in the late '80's, and I wasn't sure about Xena. I knew #1 because it was about ALF, and anytime ALF is there the answer is bound to be yes. MeTV sure makes a big deal out of a show that plays at the crack of dawn...
RichardKohler 10 days ago
11 out of 12. I missed Matlock. I thought it started early 90s.
CongoBill 10 days ago
10/12 -- I missed Diagnosis: Murder and Fresh Prince. I didn't watch either of those shows.
JamesB 11 days ago
Only 9 for 12. I agree, the Perry Mason question intentionally used a b/w photo from the show's run. I don't consider one-offs to be a continuation of a weekly show, either. Of course, I only like Warren William as Perry Mason anyhow ;)
RichardKohler JamesB 10 days ago
Those Perry Mason movies weren't "one-offs". There were 30 Perry Mason movies made in 10 years between 1985 and 1995. Raymond Burr was in 26 of those (all but the last 4). He died before these last 4 were made. They were already contracted to be made, so they brought in Paul Sorvino and Hal Holbrook to play the leads in the last four, neither playing Perry Mason.
MarcSoules 11 days ago
Well, the black and white photo of Perry Mason threw me. I forgot about his movie series. And I didn't realize Star Trek TNG was that old. Didn't know about Xena at all.
MarcSoules 11 days ago
ShirleyOlds 12 days ago
I'm using it now and it's awesome! I've signed up for my account and have been bringing in fat paychecks. For real, my first week I made $302 and the second week I doubled it and then it kinda snowballed to $120 a day! juet folllow the course.. they will help you out... visit This Site........... www.Tag30.com
EllisClevenger 14 days ago
You got 11 out of 12
Nice work! You deserve a first-place ribbon! We'll get that to you just as soon as ALF is done making it. .
I think someone at MeTV has an obsession centered on ALF. Get help. Quick.
It wasn't THAT good.