Can you remember the names of these Matlock characters?

You may recognize their faces, but what are their names?

How well do you know Andy Griffith’s courtroom drama Matlock? The show aired for nine seasons, from the late 1980s to the early '90s, and featured many cast changes during its run. Even a few familiar faces from Mayberry made appearances!

Can you name all the characters on the show? Take this quiz to find out!

Watch Matlock on MeTV!

Weekdays at 9 AM

1. What was Matlock's first name?
  2. Like many actors on the series, Nancy Stafford played a different character in her first appearance than she did for the majority of her time on the show. What was the name of the character she played in more than 100 episodes?
  3. Julie Sommars played a character named Julie...
  4. Clarence Gilyard, Jr. appeared in 85 episodes as...
  5. What was the name of Kene Holliday's character?
  6. David Froman played a Police Lieutenant named...
  7. Daniel Roebuck has played many different characters but who did he portray in Matlock?
  8. Richard Newton played Judge Richard...
  9. First appearing as a character named Roxanne, Brynn Thayer came back and played ______ ______ for 36 episodes.
  10. Kari Lizer also played a one off character first before appearing as ______ ______ in the first two seasons.
  11. Linda Purl was only in the first season but she played an important role as Matlock's daughter...
  12. Michael Durrell embodied Matlock's opponent in the courtroom named, D.A. ______ ______.
  13. Don Knotts reunited with Andy Griffith to play Matlock's neighbor...
  14. Aneta Corsaut also appeared on Matlock as Judge....
  15. Betty Lynn, who played Thelma Lou on The Andy Griffith Show, played a character named ______ in four early episodes of the show.

Can you remember the names of these Matlock characters?

12topgun 1 month ago
Missed the DA . Who cares , he was a loser !
ECO473 2 months ago
Ben Matlock was the best defense attorney this side of Perry Mason!!!
MarkSpeck 2 months ago
14 out of 15. Missed the last one.
Geronimo 2 months ago
Did you judge right on this quiz? Nope
Irish 2 months ago
14/15...missed Cooksey.
Don't "judge" me ☺️
ASperos 4 months ago
14 out of 15!!! Go Matlock!!!! Love you man!!!!
GeoRubik 5 months ago
6 right, 5 were guesses. I still cannot stand this show.
AlbertHanson 5 months ago
One of my favorite shows. I enjoyed Matlock much more than The Andy Griffith Show or Mayberry R.F.D. #7 - Daniel Roebuck played more than one character on Matlock. He played Dr. Bobby Shaw (The Doctors, Season 1 Episode 24 and 25), Alex Winthrop (The Ambassadors, Season 3, Episodes 2 and 3), (The Priest, Season 3 Episode 20), and a prosecutor Mr. Sodowsky (The Assassination, Season 6, Episodes 20, 21 and 22).
EllisClevenger 5 months ago
You got 13 out of 15
Did you judge right on this quiz?
Missed #8 and #12.
horsedancer 5 months ago
12/15 the judges really threw me off
GregLemieux 5 months ago
9/15. Started out well, then crashed and burned.
Laura 5 months ago
14-15! Didn't remember the prosecutor. The to only one I remember was Julie March.
frenchman71 5 months ago
Another thing about "Matlock". Did he ever wear a different suit besides that light gray one?
Laura frenchman71 5 months ago
Yes one time he wore a black suit to court. He was so uncomfortable he changed as soon as his light grey suit got there.
frenchman71 5 months ago
I only saw a handful of Matlock episodes. I only got 7/15. It was good to see Andy give his longtime friends of TAGS some partime roles.
SashaPayneDiaz 5 months ago
4/15 NEVER watched Matlock....couldn't even begin to guess, so I just picked choice #2 for every one to see how many I'd get right........that plan didn't work out too well either.
pattysdaughter 5 months ago
Got 12 out of 15. Not too bad. I don’t get see Matlock often enough but it must have made a memorable impression.
JeremyG 5 months ago
Nice touch naming Betty Lynn's character after the telephone operator on the Andy Griffith Show! She, Aneta Corsaut, Don Knotts, and Jack Dodson (one episode as Matlock's client) were the only other TAGS regulars to appear on Matlock. Always wondered why Jim Nabors, George Lindsey, Hal Smith, and of course Ron Howard didn't also make guest appearances, or if Andy Griffith ever asked any of them?
RoberttheWallace 5 months ago
Correction--Kari Lizer's character was " Cassie ", not " Carrie "; also, I did like Betty Lynn as " Sarah ", David Froman's " Bob Brooks ", Julie Sommars as " Julie March ", Daniel Roebuck's " Cliff " ( was OK ), Michael Durrell as " D. A. Burgess ". . .last, but monumentally, not least: the late, Great Don Knotts as the very supportive " Les Calhoun "!
RoberttheWallace 5 months ago
Excellent trivia quiz! Missed only one!
I liked Clarence Gilyard Jr., however, Kene Holliday was always my most favorite character on " Matlock { I felt Clarence was much better suited for " Waker, Texas Ranger " }-- hated to see Kene leave the show! Really didn't care much at all for Brynn Thayer--always had a Love thing going on for Linda Purl [ ever since I first saw her on an Awesome episode of " Hawaii Five--O " ( with Dane Clark ) ]; the one major declaration of Giffith's Matlock that forever griped me, was when an actor on one episode asked him about his children, he responded "
Only one child, Leanne ". . .Hey, ! Hey! ! What about " Charlene "? ? ? Very Rude--he literally expunged Linda's importance from the show! Always liked Kari Lizer as " Carrie ", and Nancy Stafford as " Michelle "--they ALL added upon " Matlock " enormously! ! !
JeremyG RoberttheWallace 5 months ago
Kene Holliday didn't leave the show voluntarily, he was fired due to a drug abuse problem and replaced by Clarence Gilyard. And I agree, I much preferred Nancy Stafford to Brynn Thayer.
Vee JeremyG 5 months ago
Never cared for Kene Holliday but greatly enjoyed Clarence Gilyard.