Can you pass this pop quiz about Popeye the Sailor?

Are you strong to the "finich"?

Popeye is coming to MeTV! Beginning in January, the legendary sailor is joining his animated pals as part of our weekly Saturday Morning Cartoons block!

He's the most famous seafaring character in all of cartoondom. He's been a fixture in newspaper strips, comic books, theatrical cartoons, commercials, radio, and even live-action movies for decades. But how well do you know Popeye?

Try to pass this "Pop" quiz and see if you can stay strong to the "finich"!

Watch Popeye and Pink Panther's Party on MeTV!

One Full Hour

Saturdays at 7 AM

1. Let's start with an easy one: Which vegetable gives Popeye his super strength?
  2. Which actor played Popeye in the 1980 live-action film?
    Image: Paramount
  3. Complete Wimpy's catchphrase with the correct day of the week: "I would gladly pay you ________ for a hamburger today.
  4. Speaking of Wimpy, what is his full name?
    Image: Everett Collection
  5. Which character appeared first: Olive Oyl or Popeye?
    Image: Warner Bros.
  6. The Popeye character made his debut in what year?
    Image: The Everett Collection
  7. Who created Popeye?
    Image: The Everett Collection
  8. In the 1960s cartoons produced by King Features Syndicate TV, the character Bluto was given a different name due to legal reasons. What did they call Popeye's archenemy?
  9. Who is this character?
    Image: The Everett Collection
  10. What is the name of Popeye's father?
  11. The first animated Popeye cartoon was released in what year?
  12. That debut, "Popeye the Sailor," was actually an installment of which iconic cartoon series?
  13. Which legendary animator created those original Popeye cartoons?
  14. The Popeye character made his debut in which newspaper comic strip?
    Image: King Features Syndicate
  15. Which classic arcade game was originally intended to be a Popeye game… until Nintendo could not procure the rights to the characters?
  16. Popeye has even influenced the English language! This common word meaning "a dimwit or silly person" comes from the name of the "cousin" character seen here on this comic book cover.
    Image: Charlton Comics
  17. This famous director helmed the 1980 'Popeye' movie — ten years after he made the acclaimed 'M*A*S*H' feature film.
    Image: The Everett Collection
  18. What is the name of Olive Oyl's brother?
    Image: King Features Syndicate
  19. In the 1980s, Popeye appeared in commercials for which breakfast brand?
  20. While not the first actor to voice the character, this performer is most associated with the sound of Popeye, as he voiced the character for nearly half a century, beginning in 1935.
    Image: The Everett Collection

Can you pass this pop quiz about Popeye the Sailor?

vinman63 4 months ago
I remember mad magazine spiff on Popeye. Olyve swallowed an olive and doctor says congrats to Popeye.
cnick9999 5 months ago
15 out of 20. Needs me spinach to score better!
danaman62 5 months ago
14 out of 20 may not be by too bad to you but I think it stinks. That’s my score.
Tim 6 months ago
20 out of 20. I guessed on #19.
Yuuji 7 months ago
If Popeye could make his fully cameo appearance in Makoto Shinkai's next film, I called it "Rumor's Delight", it's like Anchors Aweigh but his version,
A story about a Tokyo schoolgirl named Rui Yamane with her love interest (or friend) named Bill Seethers embarks a journey to save Tokyo from a spreading of Covid-a-teen (a villain that spreads covid-19 from space) to get the Marvelous Feast.

Guest stars Popeye (Voiced by Eric Bauza) dancing with Rui in his segment (just like Jerry dancing with Gene kelly)

Cameos is weathering with you stars: Hodaka Morishima was seen at the Tokyo park, and Hina Amano working at Joyful Burger

Shinkai give Joshua Moshier their new music for the film while RADWIMPS will not reprise their music for the film

Production company by CoMix Wave films and Distributed by Paramount Pictures and Toho family Entertainment
POPEYE is a courtesy of Turner Entertainment Co.
Dario 7 months ago
19 out of 20. I missed the breakfast commercial question, which I never saw at the time. 😁😁😁😁😁
Washington 8 months ago
19/20 but the one I missed was the video game so I'm OK with that.
MichaelBrown 8 months ago
17 out of 20! Not bad, I guess.
kimmer 8 months ago
13/20....pretty good for not being a Popeye fan...lol
DonStankalis 8 months ago
19/20 - The one I got wrong wasn't in the Animated series, but in the Bud Sagendorf comic strip version
MuniMetv76 8 months ago
Well it’s because of Popeye that I love spinach 👍🏿💯 Interesting fun fact about Popeye coining the phrase Doofus & Nintendo’s Donkey Kong was intended for Popeye 🥰 #LearnSomethingNewEveryday #RIP ROBINWILLIAMS DIED ON MY BDAY THAT YR... #BESTPOPEYEEVER
Peter_Falk_Fan MuniMetv76 8 months ago
Me too! My grandmother used to tell me that if I want to be strong like Popeye, that I should eat my spinach. I even buy Allen's brand "Popeye" spinach. Oh, BTW, I got 16/20.
MuniMetv76 8 months ago
16/20 A few of them packed a powerful punch😂😂 Mumbling in my “Popeye’s voice”
Tomeaton 8 months ago