This Flintstones dodo shares cartoon DNA with Tweety and Foghorn Leghorn

We connect the dots between cartoon birds of a feather.

Warner Bros.

Read to Me

"Dodos don’t talk," Fred Flintstone says in The Flintstones episode "The Buffalo Convention."

"This one can," the sleazy salesman on the street insists. He lifts a cloth off a birdcage to reveal a pinkish purple dodo, looking quite defeated.

Fred buys the bird for $5 as a birthday present for Wilma, but really, the dodo bird was a gift for Flintstones fans. For years, fans have found themselves quoting this colorful character called Doozy.

"Doozy wanna cracker, Doozy wanna cracker," the dodo repeats after Barney at one point, following a moment when Barney and Fred have hatched a scheme to silence the bird from revealing a secret by stuffing its mouth full of salty crackers.

"Frantic City!" the bird squawks at another point, leading the boys' wives to catch them in the act of deception.

Throughout the episode, Doozy continues to snitch on Fred and Barney to Wilma and Betty, and the joke helped make the otherwise fleeting character stick in the memory of fans.

It may interest you to know that Doozy the dodo was hatched in the brain of a writer who is partially responsible for one of the silliest bird-based earworms in cartoon history.

Warren Foster is the funny writer behind "The Buffalo Convention." He got his start in the 1930s writing Porky Pig cartoons. After a decade writing for Looney Tunes, Foster got together with TV legend Alan Livingston and co-wrote Tweety's theme song "I Tawt I Taw a Puddy Tat" in 1950, along with composer Billy May (who later wrote the Green Acres theme).

"I am a widdle tiny bird / My name is Tweety Pie," Tweety sings. "I wiv inside my birdcage / A-hangin' way up high."

This cartoon theme song repeats Tweety's catchphrase, including bursting out to insist, "I did, I taw a puddy tat!"

And then Sylvester the cat takes over, repeating his own catchphrase, "Sufferin' succotash," in a delightful, sing-songy way.

Tweety had been featured in Looney Tunes cartoons since 1942, so it took a pretty long time before we got this theme song. It didn’t matter how long it took to real Tweety fans, who can absolutely sing every word. Next time you hear it, though, you'll know Tweety's catchy theme came from the same guy who gave Wilma Flintstone that iconic talking dodo.

But it's far likelier that Doozy reminds you of a different iconic cartoon bird that also hatched from Foster's funny mind.

Foster and animator/illustrator Robert McKimson teamed up and created Foghorn Leghorn in 1946. The rooster known for running his mouth in a thick country drawl was definitely a character who introduced zany cartoon tension like Doozy did, whereas Tweety was different, and really just a sweetie pie. (Most people don’t realize that Foghorn Leghorn was a spoof of another fictional character, Senator Claghorn, who appeared on Fred Allen's radio show in the 1940s.)

"We gotta ditch this gabby bird," Fred says at one point in "The Buffalo Convention."

Doozy only appears in this one episode of The Flintstones, so clearly Hanna-Barbera agreed with Fred. But we bet you remember Doozy.

Watch The Flintstones on MeTV!

Weeknights at 5 PM
Sundays at 9 AM

Hogansucks1 4 days ago
That a snitching Doozy DoDo bird would have been served with mint jelly at the kitchen table!!! Yabba do do- DoDo !!!! 🍽
Mark091 4 days ago
Yogi Bear cartoons on MeTv??!!
I would like to see reruns of
Pee Wees Playhouse and I hope that
MeTv will decide to carry
Eddie Cantor movies
Joe Penner movies
Eddie Cantor Joe Penner and
Pee Wee Herman were fantastic
Comedians I heard that Pee Wee Herman (Paul Reubens) would like to do a remake of the Eddie Cantor movie Kid Millions from the year
1934. I also heard that Actress Cathy Silvers AKA Jenny Piccalo wants ABC
To do A reboot of Happy Days
Anson Williams and Donny Most (Potsie and Ralph) would also like to
Star in a reboot of Happy Days and
Call it Happy Days Again
Mark091 Mark091 4 days ago
Everytime I see the ice cream factory in the Eddie Cantor movie Kid Millions the ice cream factory reminds me of the
Playhouse on Pee Wees Playhouse
Pee Wees Playhouse and the movies of Eddie Cantor and Joe Penner would be great additions
To Me TVs lineup of shows
Mark091 4 days ago
Is it true that Bugs Bunny Elmer Fudd
Yosemite Sam Daffy duck Egghead
Porky pig and other Looney tunes
Are coming to Me TV in January??
I would also like to see the Little
Rascals and Tex Avery cartoons and
Popeye cartoons on MeTv
I would like see reruns of the Sitcom
Alice and The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet on Metv
Rick Nelson Skip Young as Wally
Plumstead and Charlene Salerno
As Ginger were funny on The
Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet
Doug Robinson who played Doug
And Pat Cranshaw w
to see rerun
Mark091 Mark091 4 days ago
I would like to see Alice reruns
On MeTv
Doug Robinson played Doug
And Pat Cranshaw as Andy were
Funny on Alice
Mel (Vic Tayback) was always
Running Doug out of Mel's Diner
daDoctah 7 days ago
Another connection of sorts was that Warner Brothers had once featured a dodo ("the *last* of the dodos", according to the script) in a Porky Pig cartoon originally in black and white.
texasluva 8 days ago
I say...I say ...I say thar.....A Dodo trying to horn in on us.....There's a reason they became extinct....dumb Dodo's can't fly worth a plug nickle....Excuse me while Tweety and I exit this Dodo ....as Snagglepuss would say.........Exit Stage left as in....head for the door thar boy. Get extinct and don't....I say don't come back ya hear....Yep Sufferin' succotash...da Dodo is a one and outer....Looney Tunes runs this Show this is it!.........
justjeff texasluva 8 days ago
Nyaaa... What a maroon! What an ultramaroon! Dat's sabatoogey, Doc!
dmagoon 8 days ago
"The Wuzzles" had dialogue resembling Foghorn Leghorn's; like "hot-diggety-dog"(Croc) and "lower than a saber-toothed snake's bellybutton (Rhinokey).
dmagoon dmagoon 8 days ago
Things like the latter phrase were use in the Fat Albert cartoons (ending in "No class").
If METV sticks "true to form," {please, anyone, feel free to correct me.} METV is notorious for writing several articles/quizzes with the theme being something that's up and coming to METV"S schedule. With that being said, we can look forward to more WB quizzes/stories because of what's being added to the weekly/Saturday a.m. lineups come January. If anyone is curious to know what I"m talking about, check out texasluva's post from last week. He downloaded a video about it. Don't remember which page it's on, sorry.
justjeff 8 days ago
MeTV left out something about about Alan Livingston. Livingston was the head of Capitol Records for decades and helped move the label into rock music in the 1960s... and was also responsible for creating Bozo the Clown in 1946 [during his first tenure with Capitol] whom he and Capitol sold to Larry Harmon in 1956.

He was credited as the inspiration for the Capitol tower [completed in 1956] which was the world's first circular building (inspired by a stack of records).

Livingston, by the way, was married to Betty Hutton (1955-1960) and Nancy Olson (1962-2009). He was also the brother of composer Jay Livingston.

For those of you "keeping score" of the DNA connection between the Flintstones and Looney Tunes - Mel Blanc was the voice of the Dodo as well as Tweety and Foghorn Leghorn.