Henry Winkler made it clear he was Henry Winkler and not Fonzie

''It's just that I leave Fonzie in my dressing room after the show and become who I am, Henry Winkler.''

The Everett Collection

When a successful role plays out on a television screen or in a film, it's difficult for viewers to differentiate the successful character from the actor or actress who plays him or her. It's a part of the business that every actor knows about.

When a character is taken to a supersonic level of success, like Henry Winkler's Fonzie from Happy Days, sometimes there is no separating the two.

For 11 seasons, Winkler played the cooler-than-cool Fonz, a character that picked up steam on Happy Days and eventually became the star of the series. The portrayal of the character put Winkler on the map in a big way.

"I have been anonymous for 27 [and a half] years, and suddenly I'm known everywhere," Winkler said as a 28-year-old in a 1974 newspaper article from New York News published in The Shreveport Times. He simply looked the part better than several other actors trying to best-fit the Fonzie description.

"I went to the audition on my birthday. I was one of the tallest persons there. The rest of the actors all had greased-down hair because the series is about the '50s. I wore mine a little long and had a little bit of a beard. Well, I guess I was just what the producers were looking for. They didn't want a greased-down look."

With the perfect amount of grease in his hair, Winkler landed his career-defining role and all the fame that came with it.

"I was in Little Rock, Ark., recently and was told I was to be met at the airport by five people. Well, I was met by 2,000 - and it was at 1:30 in the morning. I was a Beatle for a moment... It's just incredible."

With all the fame, the nation simply couldn't separate the actor from the character, something so many actors go through. This situation was unique, though, as Winkler apparently began hearing rumors he didn't like his character, or at times couldn't stand to be associated with Fonzie.

At the age of 32, in a 1977 article fromThe Miami News, he put those rumors to rest, but did make it clear he and Fonzie were two different people.

"I like him and I love him," Winkler said. "I don't like being called The Fonz, but I don't hate him. That's something the press has made up."

He said he doesn't love being called Fonzie simply because he and the character couldn't be more different. For example, Fonzie was a high school dropout, while Winkler graduated from the McBurney School for Boys in New York City, according to the 1974 New York News article.

"Fonzie is a fantasy," he added. "There is no way that I could be like that man and I don't consider it a tribute that they confuse me with him. It's just that I leave Fonzie in my dressing room after the show and become who I am, Henry Winkler. I don't mind talking about the show at all."

Winkler got to play a monumental character in the classic television world. Fonzie, in his words, is a character he likes and loves. But, if fans need a way to separate character from real person, Winkler said in 1974 he knows nothing about cars, a striking difference from one of Fonzie's best skillsets.

"He's a master mechanic," Winkler said. "I myself don't know the first thing about motors. The only thing I know about a car is where to put the key."

wallyandbagfan 11 days ago
GARRY MARSHALL SAID IN THIS
VIDEO THAT CHUCK CUNNINGHAM
DISAPPEARED from Happy Days and that CHUCK WAS WRITTEN OUT OF HAPPY DAYS JUST LIKE I
SAID ALL ALONG . BAG ZOMBROSKI
MOOSE Eugene Belvin Melvin Belvin
Wendy Trudy Marsha Simms Spike
Daphne Chuck Cunningham KC CUNNINGHAM Flip Phillips Sticks
And GlLORIA ALL DISAPPEARED FROM Happy Days with no explanation just like Chuck cunningham and Chuck Cunningham Syndrome is true for
Chuck Cunningham and all of the other characters who disappeared from Happy Days with no explanation. Newt Kiley from Green
Acres Cpl Boyle and Cpl Nick Cuccinelli from Gomer Pyle USMC
ANGELA BROWN FROM MY Favorite
Martian and Peggy McMillan of The
Andy Griffith Show all DISAPPEARED or VANISHED WITH NO EXPLANATION
THERES A VIDEO ABOUT WHY PEGGY MCMILLAN (Joanna Moore) DISAPPEARED WITHOUT A TRACE .
IF PEGGY McMillan disappeared without a trace that means that she was NOT HIRED FOR 4 EPISODES ONLY .PEGGY MCMILLAN WAS HIRED TO BE ANDY TAYLORS NEW GIRLFRIEND AS A NEW REGULAR CAST MEMBER. BUT THEPLANS FOR Joanna Moore to be Andy Taylor's permanent girlfriend changed and the reason that Peggy McMillan disappeared without a trace is explained in the video.Joanna Moore originally planned on staying on TAGS permanently-longer than 4 episodes only but something happened to change that.
Also in the video why Larry Mondello disappeared from Leave
It To Beaver the video explains why
Larry Mondello disappeared from
Leave It To Beaver with no explanation.
When ANY RECURRING CHARACTER
IS NO LONGER SEEN ON A SITCOM AND NOBODY SAYS WHAT HAPPENED TO THESE RECURRING
CHARACTERS THAT MEANS THAT THESE SITCOM CHARACTERS DISAPPEARED OR VANISHED
WITHOUT A TRACE AND WITH NO EXPLANATION JUST LIKE PEGGY
McMillan Newt Kiley and Chuck Cunningham and the other sitcom characters who vanished into
Thin AIR.
WilliamJorns 18 days ago
Lots of actors are very different from the characters they play on TV & in the movies. Look at Larry Linville, who played Frank Burns on "MASH." While Burns was an obnoxious idiot, Linville was in real life an intelligent, well-read gentleman.
wallyandbagfan 27 days ago
Day BY Day TV show - Ross Harper
DREAMS that he is CHUCK BRADY
THE "LOST MEMBER"OF THE BRADY
BUNCH. THE IDEA FOR THE CHARACTER CHUCK BRADY MIGHT
HAVE BEEN INSPIRED BY HAPPY
DAYS CHARACTER CHUCK CUNNINGHAM (Ric Carrott Gavan O'Herlihy and Randolph Roberts).
wallyandbagfan 1 month ago
Since Garry Marshall created Happy Days he could remove Chuck Cunningham or any other character from Happy Days
but when Garry Marshall Removed
Chuck Cunningham from the Cast and storyline of Happy Days he made a lot of
Happy Days fans mad and upset.
Load previous comments
And I also found proof on the internet that I was right all along when I said that Chuck Cunningham disappeared from Happy Days with no explanation.
Good, Great. I'm happy for you. Kindly, politely, I'm not really interested in ongoing conversations about the retconning of the Happy Days Series from 50 years ago. Not changing my opinion on it, just not interested in continuously discussing it, as it is is very repetitious. I will however read any articles or interviews that you have found if they are written by Gary Marshall or any of his associate producers, The Production Companies that were involved in the series or ABC. Not interested in any assorted blogs, comment boards, etc.... that don't have factual information from the sources I just mentioned.
Garry Marshall said on the Video that Chuck Cunningham DISAPPEARED from Happy Days and Garry Marshall said that Chuck
Cunningham was WRITTEN OuT OF
HAPPY DAYS. GARRY MARSHALL
TALKING ABOUT CHUCK CUNNINGHAM IS AT THE TOP OF THIS HENRY WINKLER ARTICLE.
Not sure of the purpose of your message. I've seen that video countless times. If your purpose is to avoid the term " Retcon" so be it, as you seem to be connecting the CC character with all other characters, ( sorry but no connection). For Happy Days ("plain and simple", "any way you slice it", "the down and dirty", etc,etc,etc). The Happy Days series started, two seasons in, the storyline was "retconned", the series continued along with it's new-storyline to completion.
Again not sure what the purpose is in your messages. The topic is never brought up in discussion by anyone else (except you), for good reason. You bring the topic up and if someone comments back (out of politeness), you use their comment out of context to represent interest, I won't mention any names , as you know whom I referring to. I just don't see the purpose of your campaign. The topic is repetitive, mundane and boring, but you just seem to not be able to let go of it. But again "So be it". If it makes you happy, then post away, just saying there is not wide-spread interest on the topic in the various Story & Quizzes that MeTV posts, so don't be disgruntled when an occasional user(s) comment to that.
Crazy Hank Stephen Sundstrom
Dave Sundstrom and other persons wrote about Chuck Cunningham disappearing from Happy Days and most of the persons did not like it that Chuck Cunningham was Removed from the cast of Happy Days and the Storyline of Happy Days.
I would like to see that OUTTAKE FROM
THE LAST EPISODE OF HAPPY DAYS WHERE HOWARD CUNNINGHAM (Tom Bosley ) says:WAIT !! WHERES CHUCK?
I left Fonzie off of my list by accident as one of the Happy Days Characters that I like to watch.
Richie Cunningham VS
Bag Zombroski at The Old Simpson
House with the rest of the DEMONS
Laughing upstairs !!
Maybe Garry Marshall is upstairs at the Old Simpson House laughing also .Garry Marshall made cameo uncredited appearances on Happy Days.
Were SPIKE (Danny Butch) Flip Phillips
(Billy Warlock) and KC CUNNINGHAM Crystal Bernard also the victims of later
Retcons on HD?
Can friends on a sitcom or just relatives
Be the victime of a revised storyline or
A retcon ?
FINAL HD Question

Once the storyline on Happy Days has been retconned can the writers and producers UNRETCON a storyline that has been Retconned and Unretcon the storyline later so that CC could return?
They wouldn't have done that. At the time the series originally aired it had very strong ratings
(well most of the seasons). The individuals who created the series made the change and stayed consistent with the change.
Since my birthday is on January 30th is there any way that I can post photos of Practical JOKERS
Wally Plumstead (SKIP YOUNG) from The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet and Bag Zombroski (Neil J.
Schwartz) on Happy Days or Dawn
Wells (Mary Ann Summers) on
Gilligan's Island or Roy Stuart
(Cpl Boyle ) on Gomer Pyle USMC?
Yes. Learn your device 1st and then research imaging capture and how to capture, save and post whatever it is your looking to post. I know your looking for simple ABC/123 instructions. It's not straightforward or like copying and pasting a youtube video. As I've said in the past and I know you've read the posts, devices ( PC's, Tablets, Cell Phones) are all unique. Also I'm not going to give instructions/advice to anyone that possibly could foul up their device. That's a risk/responsibility
(if you choose), that you take.
I will follow your advice.
Please leave your answer on here and please don't delete it.
Videos of Skip Young (Wally Plumstead on Ozzie and Harriet and Neil J Schwartz (Bag on Happy Days). So I finally got my birthday request 5 days early .
I'm still looking for video clips of
Dawn Wells Mary Ann Summers on
Gilligan's Island and Roy Stuart who played Cpl. Boyle on Gomer Pyle USMC from 1965-1968.
I enjoyed watching The 2 Chuck's (Gavan O'HERLIHY and Randolph Roberts) video on YouTube.
I will try to check my two cellphones to see if I can post photos of TV and Movie actors .
At least I found videos of Skip Young Wally Plumstead on The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet and The Best of BAG (Neil J Schwartz) on Happy Days.
I've seen the photos of Bob
Denver and Randolph Roberts that you posted.
wallyandbagfan 1 month ago
I know that it never happened but when
Roger Phillips Ted McGinley became the new Basketball coach Chuck Cunningham 2 Randolph Roberts could
have been the Assistant Basketball coach at Jefferson High school.
It's really weird that the events in The DEADLY DARES were not retconned except for Chuck's appearance in that episode which was retconned.
I can't understand how Chuck Cunningham s appearance in The DEADLY Dares was RETCONNED but everything else IN The DEADLY DARES was not retconned.
That's strange.
Thanks for the information on the revised storyline on Happy Days.
It's because his existence was the retcon. So it's not strange.
wallyandbagfan 1 month ago
That was also an Internet article about the writers were going to have Chuck cunningham (Randolph Roberts or Gavan O'Herlihy Or Ric Carrott or someone else) return to Happy Days as the new
Basketball coach but for unknown reasons the writers of Happy Days changed their minds and instead of Chuck Cunningham returning to HD
As the new Basketball coach the writers created the new character of Roger Phillips Ted McGinley as the new Basketball coach at Jefferson High School. I used to be able to pull up that article from the internet but in the last few days I gave not been able to pull up that article on the internet. That article about Chuck Cunningham and Jenny Piccalo were in one of the issues of
Midnight Globe.
Also whatever happened to CATHY
SILVERS (Jenny Piccalo) and her plans to have a Happy Days REBOOT and whatever happened to Paul Reubens Pee WEE HERMAN and his plans to do REMAKE OF THE Eddie Cantor movie called Kid Millions and how come Moose Bardy Greenberg never talked on
Happy Days and why did Sticks (John Anthony Baiey) replace BAG ZOMBROSKI Neil J Schwartz as the guy who played the Drums in Richies band?
Yes As I said in a previous post The Midnight Globe was a tabloid. There is no substance to such articles, whether Midnight Globe, National Enquirer or any other similar articles. The simple fact is that what was changed remained, to the end of the series. So maybes, they were going to , or they considered, doesn't change the actuality.

As far as the other topics- Cathy Silvers, Paul Rueben (I'd rather say nothing in that regard),
and the other topics don't interest me so thanks, but no thanks.
Correction
BARRY GREENBERG PLAYED MOOSE.
wallyandbagfan 1 month ago
Add on to the comment right below this one :If thestoryline from seasons one and two have been retconned then why are they showing scenes from seasons one and two of Happy Days before the retcon occured in the season 3 episode Anniversary Special. How can they flashback to adventures in seasons one and two if the revised retconned of
Happy Days occurred starting with
season 3 .How can you flashback to seasons one and two if all of the events in seasons one and two have been retconned?.This flashback to events
From seasons one and two Just Proves
Like I Said that the storyline on Happy Days from season 3 was NOT a RETCONNED AND THERE WAS NO
RETCON AND NO REVISED STORYLINE.
ON LATER SESSONS THE WRITERS
OF HAPPY DAYS PRETENDED THAT
CHUCK WAS NEVER.ON THE SHOW WHICH WAS NOT TRUE.A LOT OF PERSONS HAVE COMPLAINED ABOUT THAT STUPID LINE OF HOWARD CUNNINGHAM ON HAPPY DAYS ABOUT
"both " of our children are married now and we have had the joy od raising "2"
Wonderful kids was The DUMBEST
LINE IN TV [email protected]
You captured your answer with:

" THE only change in the retconned.
Storyline appears to be CHUCK CUNNINGHAM no longer comes home."

Flashbacks to previous seasons are allowed in any series. The only thing the retcon applies to is his existence, not what may have occurred in previous seasons. They didn't restart the series, they just moved on with a new retconned storyline minus his character. (non- existent), so it doesn't apply to all characters/events, etc.... just his.
You're trying to wrap in everything that happened prior to his characters removal (events, characters, etc....) to remove the retcon. It doesn't apply to everything just his character, simply.
Do you actually think Gary Marshall or any of his accompanying producers, the production companies and network pretended anything? No... they re-wrote their storyline and moved on. I can't imagine that there were any arguments nearly a half a century ago, or presently, except for a small group that are unhappy with the removal of his character.
Love METV 22:
Did the Retcon on Happy Days start with season 3 ? Was Chuck Cunningham not being on Happy Days the ONLY CHANGE IN THE HAPPY DAYS STORYLINE. DOES THE RETCON OFNTHE Happy Days
Storyline mean that all of the adventures from seasons one and two Never Happened? ON THE 3rd season episode Anniversary Special flashbacks are shown from seasons one and two.
If the storyline on Happy Days wasa retcomned storyline then why were flashbacks from seasons one and two are shown .These flashbacks from seasons one and two are BEFORE THE RETCON OCCURED WHEN CHUCK CUNNINGHAM WAS STILL ON HAPPY
DAYS.THE only change in the retconned.
Storyline appears to be CHUCK CUNNINGHAM no longer comes home to visit his parents and Richie.On the Second Anniversary Special episode from season 3 Ralph Malph Donny Most tells everyone in Arnold's Drive In about
Fonzie dancing with Richie because Fonzie thought that he was dancing with a girl. The scene of Richie and Fonzie dancing is from the season one of
Happy Days called The DEADLY Dares.
And CCwas in The DEADLY DARES
Episode saying :I hear that the DEMONS have a hazing .of course it's not like a college frat
If the new retconned storyline of Happy Days meant that Chuck was no longer on Happy Days then why was the dancing with Fonzie and Richie shown because CC WAS IN THIS EPISODE THE DEADLY DARES EPISODE
If all of the Happy Days storyline from seasons one or two have been retconned then why are they showing flashbacks from seasons one and TWO BEFORE THE RETCONNED STORYLINE
TAKES PLACE.lso I left my apartment a few hours ago and when I came home
Allow my comments to you were
Vanished when I came home and I left my cellphone at home.which means that
I could not have deleted my comments.
wallyandbagfan 1 month ago
Chuck Cunningham 1 Gavan O'Herlihy got the Last Laugh in this clip from Give The Band A Hand.
This is Gavan O'Herlihy s final scene playing Chuck Cunningham and he left Happy Days right after this episode
Chuck Cunningham Gavan O'Herlihy was the Only One who liked Joanies soup!!
wallyandbagfan 1 month ago
Happy Days episode called GIVE The Band A Hand with Potsie singing All Shook Up.
The Happy Days Band:
Richie Cunningham
Potsie WEBER
Ralph Malph
Bag Zombroski
Richie and Potsie try to join Bag's
Club called the DEMONS.
Hank :ED BEGLEY JR.
BAG ZOMBROSKI:Neil J SCHWARTZ
CHUCK CUNNINGHAM GAVAN O'HERLIHY
wallyandbagfan 1 month ago
Farewell TO Moose Barry Greenberg.
This Happy Days episode called BECAUSE She's There has the Last appearance of Moose Barry Greenberg. Moose is the heavyset guy standing in front of the phone booth where Richie tries to cram in the phone booth with Potsie and several other guys.
Marsha Simms Beatrice Colen.
Andy Taylor Barney Fife and Gomer
Pyle go to the Rimshaw House the
Local HAUNTED House in Mayberry.