12 times Goofus from 'Goofus & Gallant' was the absolute worst
You think Goofus would have developed some manners by now.
Read to Me
For 70 years, Highlights magazine has been a staple for bookworms around the country. If you were lucky enough to have a subscription as a kid, you'd wait patiently until it arrived in the mail. Otherwise, you'd catch the latest edition at the doctor's office or dentist.
The magazine was "Fun with a Purpose," meaning you'd learn a few things from each edition. One recurring segment was Goofus & Gallant, a cartoon featuring two boys in normal situations.
Gallant was a model for all children because he was kind, courteous and thoughtful. Goofus, on the other hand, was the absolute worst. He whined, he complained, he was rude, he was abusive… The list could go on and on. Even as children, we knew Goofus was out of line, even if we felt guilty because we acted like him on occasion.
We didn't care for him then, and we certainly don't care for him now. Here are 12 examples of Goofus doing what he does best: being Goofus. Share this if you agree Goofus was the absolute worst.
1. Dropping subtle hints that he doesn't much care for his little brother.
2. You can tell by the mother's eyes that she is fed up with Goofus.
3. Obviously, it's good etiquette to wash your hands before you eat, but this? We're not so sure.
4. Let's hope he didn't steal any money from this woman.
5. We bet those kids don't want to play with Goofus anyway.
6. You know this mother is not going to be happy when she wakes up.
7. As if we couldn't dislike Goofus any more…
8. They say to trust an animal's intuition.
9. Goofus doesn't understand the meaning of Thanksgiving.
10. Even though Gallant is young, he's already smart with his money. He really puts Goofus to shame.
11. Any kid knows to respect their elders!
12. The mom probably gave the turkey leg to the dog out of spite.