Were these shows more in black and white… or color?

Some shows made the switch toward the end while others only aired the first season in black and white.

If there was a show that started in the early sixties and continued airing past 1965, there’s a good chance it switched from black and white to color. Of course, some early shows were ahead of the curve (shout out to Bonanza) and some never made the switch. But for most shows, color was too good an advancement to pass up.

Try to guess if these shows aired more seasons in black and white or color. Be careful, some might have the exact same number of each!

Watch The Andy Griffith Show on MeTV!

Weeknights at 8 PM & 8:30 PM

1. The Andy Griffith Show
  2. The Beverly Hillbillies
  3. Gilligan’s Island
  4. Wagon Train
  5. Lost in Space
  6. Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.
  7. Petticoat Junction
  8. Gunsmoke
  9. My Three Sons
  10. F Troop
  11. The Wild Wild West
  12. Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea

Were these shows more in black and white… or color?

nowhereman 5 months ago
Excellent, makes me think back to the good old days of tv,good job MeTV👍
Moody 6 months ago
You got 11 out of 12
Did this quiz color you confused? Not really, it was kind of easy.
Mukusthebadd1 6 months ago
I'm thinking Gunsmoke had more color episodes. After all, IT WENT FOR TWENTY YEARS!
Kenner 7 months ago
I answered ‘both’ on all and only got F Troop correct. Lol
EmBee 7 months ago
When I first saw those shows they were ALL in black and white. I don't think we got our first color set until around 1970!
Bardown1 7 months ago
I need to get a color TV.
CaptainDunsel Bardown1 7 months ago
Interesting thought. Are B&W tvs even made anymore? Or have they gone the way of the slide rule - found only in yard sales, pawn shops, flea markets, antique stores and Etsy?
Kenner CaptainDunsel 7 months ago
B&W TVs are living with 8 track players and buggy whips.
CaptainDunsel Kenner 7 months ago
Let's not forget butter churns, manual typewriter, rotary phones and ice boxes.
MrBill 7 months ago
9/12; missed #4, #8 and #10 - I never watched any of them so had to guess.
Snickers 7 months ago
Got nine out of 12, good but not great.
hermanstein2015 7 months ago
8/12 that wasnt too bad, but I got the important ones right lol ;)
TheDavBow3 7 months ago
I missed that F-Troop had the same number of seasons in b/w as color. Only one I missed! MeTV should put that in their line up. So funny!
texasluva 7 months ago
10 out of 12. Missed one with both and My Three Sons.
Pacificsun 7 months ago
GOOD quiz! Unique too!

For whatever it's worth, MFU (on MeTV & H&I in 2015-16) had more shows transmitted in color than black 'n white, (because all shows are filmed in color). But the first season transmitted in B&W was spectacular! Some shows DO come across better in black 'n white. Some of it has to do with the era of their origin too.
Load previous comments
Technically, they didn't make Green Hornet movies! I'm assuming you mean that when Bruce Lee became a martial superstar, the Kato fights were edited together into a feature!
Dagnabit! I must have shifted Earths again. I could have *sworn* there were a couple of feature length movies edited out of GH episodes for TV or DVD distribution. But IMDB doesn't bear that out - at least not in this reality. (I gotta get this Dimensional Stabilizer fixed!)
EmBee CaptainDunsel 7 months ago
Green Hornet was only on one season and it was in color. Unless you are referring to the B/W serials from the 30s and beyond? The idea here, though was to have them be just one series.
CaptainDunsel EmBee 7 months ago
I think context might have been lost here. (MeTV collapsed a lot of the thread to a "click here" link.)
I mentioned "The Green Hornet" in reference to shows edited into movies, not the b&w/color issue. (And of course I was wrong about it...)
Stoney 7 months ago
10 for 12. Have never watched much Gunsmoke or My Three Sons, so I missed them.