Can you match these classic sports moments to the correct decade?

Do you remember these upsets, rivalries and record-setters?

Images, left to right: Associated Press, Mitsunori Chigita / AP Photo / AP Photo

For sports fans, any game or match can be an event, but sometimes athletic achievements are so momentous that they crossover into wider popular culture. These occasions are often given catchy names like the "Thrilla in Manila" or the "Miracle on Ice."

Here are twelve moments and accomplishments from the world of sports that were celebrated across the country and even the world. See if you can place each one in the right decade.

1. The very first super bowl was held in which decade?
    Image: Associated Press
  2. The boxing match known as the “Thrilla in Manila” happened in the…
    Image: Associated Press / Mitsunori Chigita
  3. The "Miracle on Ice" Olympic hockey game when the United States beat the Soviet Union happened in which decade?
    Image: Associated Press
  4. The famous "Battle of the Sexes" tennis match between Bobby Riggs and Billie Jean King happened in which decade?
    Image: Associated Press
  5. The first baseball game broadcast on television nationwide featured Bobby Thomson's famous "Shot Heard 'Round the World" winning home run and happened in the…
    Image: Associated Press
  6. Mickey Mantle achieved the baseball "Triple Crown" with the highest batting average, most home runs and more runs batted in than any other player for the season in what decade?
    Image: Associated Press / John Lindsay
  7. Swimmer Mark Spitz won seven gold medals at the summer Olympics in which decade?
    Image: Associated Press
  8. Oscar "Big O" Robertson became the first (and only for more than 50 years) player in the NBA to achieve a "triple double" average for an entire season – that is, double digit stats in three different categories. He set this record in the…
    Image: Associated Press / Hans Van Nolde
  9. Gymnast Mary Lou Retton became the first American woman to win the all-around gold medal at the Olympics in which decade?
    Image: Associated Press / Suzanne Vlamis
  10. Boxer Rocky Marciano held the world heavyweight title for four consecutive years in which decade?
    Image: Associated Press
  11. In which decade did Jack Nicklaus win his record 18th major golf championship?
    Image: Associated Press
  12. Runner Wilma Rudolph was the first American woman to win three gold medals at a single Olympics in which decade?
    Image: Associated Press

Can you match these classic sports moments to the correct decade?

Runeshaper 4 hours ago
You got 8 out of 12 - every one was a guess LOL Lots of GREAT athletes mentioned here.
KellyShort 1 day ago
You got 10 out of 12
Not a sports fan
stephaniestavr5 2 days ago
This has got nothing to do with the quiz, but it is sports related: on 8/2/20, the Chicago White Sox became the first team in MLB history to have four players in the starting line up born in Cuba! They had 21 combined hits and beat the the Kansas City Royals in K.C., 11-5.
Got the date wrong This is correct: 8/1/20.
*2020 MLB season. And may not even finish. Teehee!
No team may finish. I think I heard the Marlins may be done for the season. But then I've also heard the commissioner has no plans to cancel the rest of the season, They won't have that added worry while they recover and try to get off the Injured List. It's good to see players not playing because of the virus, but because of injuries. I'm sorry that they are injured, leastways no one has to worry about whether they will be alive or not. This is normal, as is a few guys taking time off for the blessed event. {childbirth.}
francolaguna1 3 days ago
12/12... Never really into sports; just into ATHLETES. 😉
CouchPotato987 3 days ago
I only missed the Wilma Rudolph question. I thought she won the Olympics in the 1950’s.
frenchman71 3 days ago
I was 9/12. I missed Mickey, Oscar and Jack Nicklaus. I forgot Nicklaus won the Masters @ 43 in the 80's...quite an accomplishment. And Mickey's body stated falling apart in the 60's.
UTZAAKE 4 days ago
12/12. 2EZ.
2. All three title bouts between those two boxers happened in the same decade.
8. That season's league-wide scoring average per game is still the highest in history and will probably be for a very long time. Same campaign as the only time an individual ballplayer scored 100 in a single game.
11. Did his best impression of the Cleveland Cavaliers' original logo when he sank the record-clinching putt.
hermanstein2015 4 days ago
I got 4 out of 12
Not great but there are worse ways to lose. Better luck next time!
I didn't even know who half those people were lol!
DouglasMorris 4 days ago
9/12! missed numbers 6, 8, and 12.
MaryAnn DouglasMorris 3 days ago
6, 10, and 12 got me! I was pleasantly surprised to get the rest of them correct by actually knowing, not guessing!
MrsPhilHarris 4 days ago
9/12. I am not familiar with some of them.
texasluva 4 days ago
Ace is my name,
and happy to acclaim,
Sports is my game;
That is my fame;
Miracle on Ice was just alright;
Ali winning with one big right ;
12 Xed right;
to my delight
Stay away from The Waltons and Green Acres
I'll have scores that are much more greater
TheDavBow3 texasluva 4 days ago
Oh yeah, definitely stay away from The Waltons. And, for me, also The Andy Griffith Show! 😉
You don't like Andy??? Lol
Haha It's just that it's constantly been on TV for the last 50 years thru syndication and such. I watched it so much as a kid and now I've kinda grown weary. It's a true classic for sure with iconic actors. I'll treasure the funny memories I have as a kid. I love "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken". Atta boy, Luther!
Anything Don Knott's touched was gold! The Ghost and Mr. Chicken is my favorite but How to Frame a Figg is a close second! The Andy Griffith show is just so wholesome and not many other shows have stood the test of time like that, but I see you what you mean lol. It's way better than today's TV though :)
I agree. We need more wholesome TV and other stuff these days. I even have Vic Mizzy's "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" soundtrack on CD. I agree with you about Don Knotts. I loved "The Incredible Mr. Limpet" as a kid.
Jeremy 4 days ago
I'm not a very big sports fan but I did know enough to only miss than the last two!
Big3Fan 4 days ago
10/12 I missed numbers six an eight. Other than the Bobby Thompson feat and part of the Marciano run, I've been drawing breath for the rest of these milestones.