Was this a No. 1 television show in the 1950s, the 1960s or the 1970s?

Try to place these top-rated titles into the correct decade!

In 1950, Nielsen Media Research began compiling its ratings of the top shows on television. For the past 70 seasons, networks have been scrapping for that No. 1 spot. And at the end of each season, one fortunate title has sat atop the throne.

The following dozen titles were all the highest-rated series of a television season sometime between 1950 and 1979. (Only Gunsmoke spanned decades, ranking No. 1 from 1957–58 to 1960–61.)

See if you can place them into the correct decade. Good luck!

Watch Gunsmoke on MeTV!

Monday - Saturday at 1 PM & 1:30 PM

1. I Love Lucy
  2. The Beverly Hillbillies
  3. Happy Days
  4. All in the Family
  5. Bonanza
  6. Wagon Train
  7. Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In
  8. Texaco Star Theater
  9. Laverne & Shirley
  10. 60 Minutes
  11. The $64,000 Question
  12. Marcus Welby, M.D.

Was this a No. 1 television show in the 1950s, the 1960s or the 1970s?

Save with

Walter 24 days ago
i missed 2 shows by 1 year each, oh, well
FrankCollins 25 days ago
I Love Lucy was the first US TV show to be number 1 in the Nielsen ratings at least 3 years in a row. It did it in the 1950s. In the 1960s Bonanza did it. In the 1970s it was All in the Family, which was number 1 for 5 years in a row. In the 1980s it was The Cosby Show. In the 1990s it was Seinfeld. In the 2000s it was American Idol (ugh). Does anyone know if it has been done in the 2010s?
anthony 26 days ago
12/12!💃💃💃💃 It feels good to be #1.How did you do? Well I'll tell ya Charles,Ah I mean Little Joe.I aced this one baby!!!Took a lucky guess on "Wagon Train",but I'll take it.
daDoctah 26 days ago
Only 8 out of 12. I missed Laugh-In because I thought it didn't hit its stride until later (Lily Tomlin didn't start until the December 31, 1969 episode; all her subsequent appearances were in the '70s). And Wagon Train because I thought it had begun its decline by the sixties.
KirwoodDerby daDoctah 25 days ago
I believe the last episode of Laugh-In aired in 1973. So it’s kind of a trick question since it ran longer in the 70s than the 60s.
Jeremy 27 days ago
To all your question, MeTV, I aced it. There were a few times I thought I wouldn't.