PICK: Would you eat these vintage holiday dishes from 1959?

Would you go back for seconds of Prune Whip, Tongue Loaf and Rice Imperial?

Thanksgiving is the most traditional of American holidays. That being said, over the decades, the food on our table has quietly evolved. The turkey may have stayed the same, but most families no longer cook up aspics, steamed puddings, chiffon cakes, soufflΓ© and livers.

We flipped through the November 1959 and December 1959 issues of Ladies' Home Journal to find some forgotten recipes. As nostalgic, adventurous eaters, we would probably try everything. Okay, maybe not the "Molded Salad."

Let's see how your tastes compare to others. Pick which vintage holiday dishes you would eat!
  1. Frosted Candy Cane Dinner Rolls?
  2. "Rice Imperial"?
  3. Canned Peaches and Turkey?
  4. A shortbread house covered in raisins?
  5. Steamed Orange Pudding with Foamy Eggnog Sauce?
  6. Country Beef Pie with an All-Meat "Crust"?
  7. Molded Vegetable Salad?
  8. None Such Whipped Cream Cake with Vanilla Wafers and Mincemeat?
  9. Do-Ahead Cranberry Souffle Salad?
  10. Deviled Ham "Snow Cap Spread"?
  11. Ginger-Glazed Pork and Tongue Loaf?
  12. Chicken Livers VeloutΓ© β€” for breakfast? It has bacon in it.
  13. Chicken Cream Corn Curry?
  14. Turkey-Apple Bake?
  15. Prune Whip? They say it's "the perfect end to any meal"! Is it?
PICK: Would you eat these vintage holiday dishes from 1959?

Share your results:
Save with
Enjoy even more classic shows on-air! Find where to watch MeTV in Houston AT&T U-verse

Click here to learn about MeTV's new commenting system!
EdCaf 15 days ago
Hint: just choose the "no" answer and you'll be at 100% similar every time.
EmBee 19 days ago
Prune whip. AKA Eat and Run.
daDoctah 20 days ago
The chicken-liver veloute with bacon in it sounds like it was inspired by rumaki, which was always my favorite finger food at an annual Christmas get-together I got hooked up with for a few years. (If I knew there was also water chesnut in it I know I'd be all over it.)

For those put off by Number 8, you might need to know that mincemeat doesn't actually contain meat in this country.
everett552 21 days ago
Every food item on this quiz looks disgusting... No thank you. Take out anyone?
CruiseGirl4Life 23 days ago
86% any food source that starts with meat crust pie, chicken livers in a casserole or whipping prunes will not turn out well 😝!
The Country Beef Pie meat crust could be the start of a delicious meal. The Beef could be infused with Taco seasoning. You could use Garlic Mash Potatoes for the filling and top it with chopped or minced onions. Throw some chopped parsley on the onions to add color, maybe shredded cheese. You may have something which will turn out well. A lot of flavor, texture and calories.
wanderer2575 23 days ago
If you can't get enough of these delicacies, check out the Gallery of Regrettable Food:
For those of you who don't feel like typing all that,you don't need to, just type Lileks.com and you're in! Scroll down on his home page, click on G.OR.F. you're in. I've been reading him for years, and G.O.R.F. is my fave page! His whole website is good!
Lucyneenah19701 23 days ago
73% similar. A lot of bad fods. I have a 1950's cookbook that has great recipes in it.
BrittReid 23 days ago
100% similar. Not eating or feeding anyone to my dogs.
BrownieMom 23 days ago
100% similar to the most popular responses
Luis 24 days ago
Those were some seriously grotesque creations for Thanksgiving. The Country Beef Pie would be better if the crust was made of bacon.
Warren 24 days ago
Cant believe I grew up with this crap out there. Never ate any of this.
Paul 24 days ago
I should never take quizzes like this when I'm hungry.
How did you manage to retain your appetite after taking this quiz?!?! If you don't mind my asking, after you took this quiz, what did you have a hungering for? What did you eat?
MrsPhilHarris 25 days ago
40% similar. No to anything with creamed corn. Not big on jellied salads. I like prunes but probably not whipped. Tongue is not for me.
Likewise, I stick out my tongue at tongue.
Did the tongue give you a good lashing after you refused to eat it?!?!
Jeffrey 25 days ago
93% similar -----------93% similar to the most popular responses.
Warren Jeffrey 24 days ago
Same as me
AnnaRentzVandenhazel 25 days ago
15. Prune Whip? They say it's "the perfect end to any meal"! Is it?

Of course it's the perfect end - who'd want to eat anything else after that? :D
But it's only the beginning, on how many trips to the bathroom you make!
teire 25 days ago
6 percent similar, I would at least try everything except the tongue (which I have tried once and that’s enough). Some of these might be one and done too, but they don’t completely scare me off like some of the other vintage food quiz items do.
gracie200 teire 25 days ago
teire you are a brave soul, lol. I try not to turn my nose up at food until I try it but these sounded really nasty - especially the prune whip.....and what kinda "snow cap spread" goes on deviled ham? (I am ok with deviled ham but no cap on it please).
Perhaps, Marshmallow Fluff was used. You know, the stuff to make a fluffernutter sandwich with.
Lantern 25 days ago
If you enjoyed this quiz, you ought to read the website and books of Jim Lileks - he wrote a book titled "The Gallery of Regrettable Food", which is similar to this. I was laughing so hard when I read it the first time, I cried.
HELLO, FELLOW BLEATNICK!! I Like James, been reading him for years, and G.O.R.F. is my favorite webpage!
Yes, his entire website is pretty funny!
AndrewHass 25 days ago
I was 80% similar but there was a few i might have tried.
Barry22 25 days ago
Actually, a few of those (a very few) didn't sound so bad.
Dicazi 25 days ago
33% similar.
I like raisins and prunes.
Lacey Dicazi 25 days ago