Can you pass the giant Gunsmoke quiz?

How well do you know this classic TV Western?

Gunsmoke remains one of the biggest successes in television history. Generations have grown up with Marshal Matt Dillon, Miss Kitty, Doc Adams and the rest of the gang.

We want to see who knows this beloved Western the best. If you can get more than 20 of these questions correct, consider yourself an honorary deputy. Good luck, partner!
  1. Gunsmoke takes place in what town?
  2. And that town is located in which state?
  3. This actor starred as Marshal Matt Dillon.
  4. What actor portrayed Matt Dillon in the radio edition of Gunsmoke?
  5. Gunsmoke was the longest-running primetime live-action TV series of the 20th century. How many seasons were there?
  6. James Arness appears in all of those seasons. What other actor appears in every season?
  7. What is Festus' last name?
  8. Several TV movies followed the season. The final Gunsmoke made-for-TV movie was called 'Gunsmoke: One Man's Justice.' It aired in what year?
  9. This iconic Hollywood star introduced the first episode.
  10. What was Doc's first name?
  11. What was the name of Miss Kitty's saloon?
  12. Who was the bartender in the saloon?
  13. Gunsmoke spawned just one spin-off television series. What was it called?
  14. The actor who portrayed Doc Adams on the Gunsmoke radio program went on to become which iconic Andy Griffith Show character?
  15. The first 12 seasons originally aired on which day of the week on CBS?
  16. James Arness' younger brother was a famous TV star, too. Who was his brother?
  17. Chester Goode was played this future star of McCloud.
  18. Which character appeared on Gunsmoke first: Quint or Festus?
  19. How many seasons were produced in black & white?
  20. The name Matt Dillon's horse is given in one episode, "The Bullet." What was the horse's name?
  21. What is the name of the woman who takes over the saloon for Miss Kitty in season 20?
  22. Chester obsesses over which beverage?
  23. This Star Trek actor appeared in four episodes, playing four different characters, including a Native American.
  24. This Star Wars star appeared in two episodes, "The Sodbusters" and "Whelan's Men."
  25. Which of the following characters was NOT a deputy of Matt Dillon?
  26. This gunman shoots Matt Dillon in the first episode β€”Β and becomes the first character to die on the series.
  27. This famous actor played the LAST character to be killed on Gunsmoke.
  28. Doc Adams has a photo of which president hanging in his office?
  29. What city was Kitty's hometown?
  30. After Gunsmoke ended, James Arness starred in two more TV series. Pick the show that did NOT feature James Arness.
Can you pass the giant Gunsmoke quiz?

Share your results:
Save with
Enjoy even more classic shows on-air! Find where to watch MeTV in Washington, DC

Click here to learn about MeTV's new commenting system!
ImYourHuckleberry 1 month ago
25/30, Dont know how I missed the 5, but I did. My favorite western of all time!
I missed 4. I was born the year Gunsmoke premiered. Watched it with my Dad from the time I was a child. My favorite Western of all time! πŸ₯°
EllisClevenger 1 month ago
You got 24 out of 30
Darn impressive! You know Dodge City like the back of your hand!
anthony 2 months ago
Can you pass this Gunsmoke quiz?NOPE!!!!πŸ˜‹
Terrence 2 months ago
Not bad, took a whole lot of guesses.......................27/30
Classictv61 2 months ago
I really got 29, one wrong answer popped up without me touching it. Still I'm happy.
booster 2 months ago
26/30. i thought Gunsmoke lasted 21 years, not 20.
pony 2 months ago
22/30. I'll take it. I was happy to see 'Dirty Sally' mentioned. If memory serves, I believe that was a two-part episode of "Gunsmoke," featuring two really engaging characters in a charming and touching storyline.
AreliaPendergrass pony 28 days ago
Yes, it was very touching. One of the Rambo twins (either Dack or Dirk, don’t recall which) was the wounded character Sally took in. ❀️
thedude1500 2 months ago
17/30 Just didn't watch enough episodes close enough.
Now the continuity error that's alway bugged me. They show Matt and Co. riding through rugged canyons and mountains. I've lived in Kansas for more than 30 years. I've been to Dodge City many a time. You have to drive 3-4 hours west or southwest to get to the nearest mountain or canyon. That had to be days of hard riding to get there.
Randall thedude1500 2 months ago
Just some FYI...in 2003 California wildfires burned through the Big Sky Movie Ranch in Simi Valley and destroyed most of the iconic sets where Gunsmoke and The Little House on the Prairie westerns were filmed
FrankCollins 2 months ago
I was waiting for a question about the actor who played the town doctor, when Milburn Stone was holding out for a higher salary and missed a few episodes. I think is was Edgar Buchanan, but I am not positive.
RandyJepsen FrankCollins 2 months ago
He missed those episodes because he had bypass surgery.
Randall FrankCollins 2 months ago
Veteran character actor Pat Hingle played Dr. Chapman while Milburn Stone was unavailable, among many other notable roles but l knew him better from all the movies that he was in with Clint Eastwood..Hang Em High..The Gauntlet, etc.
No, it was Pat Hingle. πŸ‘πŸΎ
Buchanan played the doctor on The Rifleman. 😎
Randall 2 months ago
Perfect score.. pardners... and l calculated that l would have only probably missed no more than three questions if l had taken this quiz when the show left the air in the Spring of '75
MrsPhilHarris 2 months ago
16/30 At least I passed. Guessed on almost all of them.
stephaniestavropoulos 2 months ago
24/30. Festus was so impressed with my score, he offered to buy me a drink!
teire 2 months ago
22/30, not bad. Surprised how many seasons were in black and white!
AndrewHass 2 months ago
I was 22/30 but on a lot of questions i just guessed.So i think i did okay.
nerakr 2 months ago
Got 23. Not bad considering most of what I know about it I learned from reading about it or hearing people talk about it rather than watching it.
lnieting 2 months ago
Seriously: I got "26/20". Huh?!?