Can you name all these classic TV puppets?

Try your hand at this quiz — no strings attached.

Puppets were once all over television. Something about those vintage, boxy, wooden television sets looked like Punch-and-Judy theaters. Ventriloquists, marionettes, hand puppets and Muppets were not just for children's television, either. They turned up on talk shows, game shows — and even got their own sitcoms from time to time.

See if you remember these famous puppets from TV history.

1. This puppet is modeled after the "Charwoman" character of this beloved comedian.
    Image: The Everett Collection
  2. What is the name of this Tiger?
    Image: The Everett Collection
  3. Shari Lewis was an adored puppeteer thanks largely to this ovine.
    Image: The Everett Collection
  4. Any kid who grew up in the 1950s knows…?
    Image: The Everett Collection
  5. Ed Sullivan often welcomed on this mouse.
    Image: The Everett Collection
  6. These puppet lookalikes appeared in the "Deadly Dolls" episode of which adventure series?
    Image: The Everett Collection
  7. Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward was just one of the puppets on this imported British series.
    Image: The Everett Collection
  8. Here are Kukla, Fran and Ollie. Which one is Ollie?
    Image: The Everett Collection
  9. We already asked about the puppet on the left — but what is the name of the puppet on the right?
    Image: The Everett Collection
  10. Legendary ventriloquist Paul Winchell appeared on TV for decades. What is the name of this dummy, his most famous partner?
    Image: The Everett Collection
  11. Wayland Flowers and his puppet appeared on Hollywood Squares, Laugh-In and even got her own series. What was her name?
    Image: The Everett Collection
  12. Funnyman Stan Freberg often appeared with this puppet on TV.
    Image: The Everett Collection

Can you name all these classic TV puppets?

Woowoo 1 month ago
Far out! Some I know others I guessed ( happy dance). One thing we can get reel happy about is #metvplus and the return of our favorite from across the pond puppets🇬🇧🚀...the THUNDERBIRD'S ! 🙆
VaughnBaskin 6 months ago
And we've got Svengoolie and Kerwyn and Billy Leff and Toony Tuna!
DerekBird 6 months ago
I did pretty damn good considering most of these were from before (or around when I was born in '64).

You got 10 out of 12
Wonderful! You sure know television history!

Missed #8 & 12.
idkwut2use 6 months ago
Got 2/3. Do love puppets...including Mr. Rogers' and Lamp Chop/Charlie Horse/Hush Puppy (my dad made sock-puppet versions of those three for me & my little brother when we were kids. HP was my favorite. x-3 ^^)
Dario 12 months ago
11 out of 12; got No. 2 wrong. 😁😁😁😁😁
djw1120 13 months ago
Number 7 - "Thunderbirds" - was easy (at least for me it was).
I used to be a big fan of that show.
Scott Tracy was the commander in "Thunderbird 1" and the youngest (Alan) was in "Thunderbird 4" the underwater craft. The oldest - John - was in command of the space station "Thunderbird 5".
I forget the brother's name who was in command of "Thunderbird 2" (that one was the workhorse of the fleet) and the one who was in command of "Thunderbird 3" which was the one that ferried whichever one was going up to the space station. Or was it the other way around - "Thunderbird 2" brought everyone up to the space station and "Thunderbird 3" was the workhorse.
In any event, MeTV can you bring it back? I don't care what time it would be on, I would DVR it.
djw1120 13 months ago
10 out of 12
Some I guessed and a few I knew.
I missed numbers 2 and 5.
Ed Sullivan is before my time and I never heard of "Tiger Tiger".
justjeff 14 months ago
Some trivia about Paul Winchell: He first learned puppet making from master puppeteer/artist Jero(me) Magon. I knew Jero in his later years when he had a small studio on Miami Beach. Jero showed me two pictures of Paul Winchell - the first, before he had a nose job. The second, sitting on Jero's lap (like a ventriloquist's dummy) at the Fontainbleau hotel on Miami Beach - the only time he would ever pose like that. Jerry Mahoney was name in honor of Jero.
dethLSMO89 19 months ago
7 out of 12. Didn't realize there were that many puppets on TV in the 50's.
LindaWilliams 19 months ago
Can you name all these classic TV puppets?
You got 10 out of 12
Wonderful! You sure know television history!
EllisClevenger 19 months ago
You got 12 out of 12
Wonderful! You sure know television history!
MeTV.
You missed one.
Where is Edgar Bergen? You used Mortimer Snerd, and Charlie McCarthy, as possible answers, but NO questions of the trio.
Please, try and do better, the next time.
GeoRubik 19 months ago
Jimmy Dean and the first muppet Rolf.
GeoRubik GeoRubik 19 months ago
Also Captain Kangaroo with Bunny Rabbit and Mr Moose.
Elkoman 19 months ago
What happen to Soupy Sales! Remember the Thing that threw pies at him!
MadMadMadWorld Elkoman 19 months ago
It could be either White Fang or Black Tooth! Or another of his puppet friends! Or maybe one of the stagehands. Or maybe it was Moe of The Three Stooges, who was as expert pie-thrower, and threw many of the pies shown on their hilarious short films.
DIGGER1 19 months ago
Can you name all these classic TV puppets?
You got 9 out of 12
Wonderful! You sure know television history!
Barry22 19 months ago
11/12. How about Jay Johnson and Bob, and also Willie Tyler and Lester.