Can you guess the Monkees song from random lyrics?

Mothers complain about how hard this quiz is, and the kids just don't understand.

The Monkees have a spunky collection of songs, and their wild lyrics quite often made for enduring hits.

But do you think you can pick up on every Monkees song, even if we drop you right in the middle of one?

Here, we've snipped random Monkees lyrics to put your memory to the test. See if you can use our clues as a steppin' stone to a high score! Good luck!
MeTV Music Listen Now MeTV Music Listen Now
  1. Pick The Monkees hit with the line: “When I needed sunshine, I got rain.”
  2. Which Monkees hit made this bold declaration: “We’re the young generation / and we’ve got something to say.”
  3. Shot were fired with this line in which Monkees song: “When I first met you, girl, you didn’t have no shoes.”
  4. Which whimsical Monkees hit introduced us to this character: “And Mr. Green, he’s so serene / He’s got a TV in every room.”
  5. On which Monkees song was this proposal made? “We’ll have time for coffee-flavored kisses.”
  6. Which Monkees girl was this vow made to? “This one thing I will vow ya, I’d rather die than to live without ya.”
  7. Sometimes Monkees be shoppin': “You always where a smile, / Even though you’ve gotta walk a hundred ten miles.”
  8. This tragic figure stands out in the Monkees discography: “Well, I got no job to go to, / I don’t work and I don’t get paid.”
  9. Here's one of many examples of the Monkees in love: “Why am I standing here missing her and wishing she were here?”
  10. This feels like a good way to say goodbye, goodbye, goodbye: “Clicks, clacks, riding the backs of giraffes for laughs.”
Can you guess the Monkees song from random lyrics?

Share your results:
Save with

Click here to learn about MeTV's new commenting system!
Tammy 25 days ago
8 out of 10
Be proud today! (Every day's pleasant when you're a Monkees fan!)

MrsPhilHarris 26 days ago
6/10 Thought I would have done better.
UTZAAKE 26 days ago
7/10. Foiled by 6, 7 and 10.
JeffTanner 26 days ago
You got 5 out of 10 -----------The porpoise is laughing...
harlow1313 26 days ago
The porpoise song is one of all time favorite pieces of music. I think it is gorgeous. I also like the lyrics. I believe the correct word is claque (an organized body of professional applauders), rather than clack.
harlow1313 harlow1313 25 days ago
and cliques, not clicks
anthony 26 days ago
5/10.The porpoise is laughing.HA HA!He would be laughing even harder if he knew I guessed on everyone except the theme song.
cperrynaples 26 days ago
6/10! Stephanie, I missed 1 5 6 and 8! Go ahead and rub my nose in the dirt because you got a perfect score! After the theme song fight, you're entitled...LOL!!!!
10/10.
CPERRYNAPLES! You missed Neil, Tommy & Bobby & Papa Nez! Aren't you ashamed of yourself?!?! It's a shame that I can't lay my hands on that talking Mr Schneider dummy. I bet he would have some choice Monkeeisms for you for missing the ones you did. I think there was a scene {perhaps more than one;} where MS was referred to as the Monkees Advisor. Maybe he could advise you on how to keep mistakes like this, from happening again.
You mentioned something about a fight we were supposed to have had over theme songs? What fight/quiz is that?
SheriHeffner 26 days ago
I guessed at them and only got five out o ten. I never really watched The Monkees or remember many of the songs, except maybe Daydream Believer, In This Generation, and I'm A Believer.
Load previous comments
Thanks for the explanation why. you asked. Did you miss the closing credits? Because {as you know,} unlike COZI and Antenna {I think they both do this,} METV shows full screen closing credits, and you should have been able to have seen the title there. I don't know if you are aware of this or not, but a good # of Papa Nez tunes do not contain the title in the body of the lyrics. {Like Papa Gene's Blues, and Nine Times Blue, Writing Wrongs, Daily Nightly, etc.}
I meant that Antenna and COZI show half screen and smaller credits.
Don't have Cozi but you're right about Antenna! TV Land is even worst, they scroll the credits under the final act! The credits roll by so fast I thought it was a Boyce/Hart song!
A number of stations do what TVLAND does in terms of credits. You know, I bet there might have been some viewers lost of COZI and ANTENNA TV because of how the closing credits are shown. Now I know there are several other retro stations on the air that may also show the closing credits the way METV shows them. {The way they are supposed to be shown}.
teire 26 days ago
5/10, pretty dreadful and a lot of guesses. I guess many of these were in one ear and out the other for me. (Would not characterize Pleasant Valley Sunday as “whimsical” by the way.)
cperrynaples teire 26 days ago
No, and neither is "Steppin' Stone"! Anything you want to add, Stephanie?
As far as whimsical songs: AUNTIE GRIZELDA is one, so is Teeny Tiny Gnome, Pillow Time Do you or anybody have any idea who wrote PT? GONNA BUY ME A DOG. {Well, according to the backstory to this song, I think Boyce and Hart were really trying to sell it as a ballad, and Davy and Micky didn't hear it that way! We all know how they heard it.} Plus others.
Micky's mom, Jonelle Scott, wrote Pillow Time.
I think the world you were looking for is: CATEGORIZE.
Barry22 26 days ago
10/10, the last questions were tougher.