Can we guess where you grew up based on your taste in music?

The pop you play will reveal the place you call home.

The music in your life says a lot about you. It reflects your mood, your roots. Heck, we've even used it to reveal your age.

Now, we have a hunch that your taste in tunes can trace us back to your hometown. Well, we're narrow it down to a region of the United States.

Let us know how we do. Here we go… and a one, and a two, and a three, and a…
  1. What genre of music is the most quintessentially American?
  2. Okay, who is most deserving of the title "Greatest American Rock & Roll Band?
  3. Speaking of American bands, which R.E.M. album cover art do you think looks the coolest?
  4. Where is the best place to see a concert?
  5. Where were you most likely to buy an album?
  6. Did the call letters of your favorite radio stations begin with a "W" or a "K"?
  7. Which of the following TV shows had the greatest instrumental theme song?
  8. Pick a pop star.
  9. Which 1960s garage rock song or band sounds the most familiar? If you don't know any of them, thats okay. Just pick the one that looks the coolest. We'll still figure out where you lived.
  10. This all-American jukebox plays nothing but John Cougar Mellencamp singles. Pop in a nickel and pick one.
  11. Alright! We dig your taste in music. We're starting a band. What do you want to play?

Can we guess where you grew up based on your taste in music?

Karen 5 months ago
Yes, Mid-Atlantic and close to several major cities.
Nightshade1972 9 months ago
"You grew up in California." Not quite. My parents grew up in California, they met as music undergrads at CSUN. I spent my childhood in Chicago, before we moved to Houston when I was 12. I'm now living in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

:-)
ToddHuber 9 months ago
Pacific NW ?? Not even close....how about Ohio...
Bob 21 months ago
It says I grew up in the South. I'm a New England boy.
DouglasMorris 21 months ago
this quiz said I grew up in California! wrong, I grew up here in Oklahoma all my life.
WILD 21 months ago
You grew up in California
The sun and surf informs everything — from the breeze harmonies in your pop music to the rhythms built for rolling back the roof of your convertible. There's a reason all the record labels seemed to be based in L.A.

Far from it, I grew up right here in Montreal. All the radio stations start with a C up here, so I chose k because the station I grew up listening to was CKGM
MikeBugal 21 months ago
"You grew up in the South
Nashville is your music capital. But the South is so much more than country music. It has given birth to everything from James Brown to Outkast, from the Allman Brothers to the B-52's."

Not even close. I didn't even grow up in the Southern Tier of New York State. I grew up in the Mohawk Valley in Central NYS. Perhaps the intern who created this didn't know but Country music is hardly just a southern thing. It's universal to every region of the country.
Runeshaper 26 months ago
You grew up in the Northeast
You are either from a major metropolis, or within a short drive of one. This means you grew up with the rhythms of the big city, the rock of Bruce Springsteen and Bon Jovi, the cool of New York City.

That is accurate!
LeeHarper 33 months ago
You grew up in California

Yep. They got it right....for once.
ndebrabant 33 months ago
You grew up in the Southwest
It's a big, open landscape, and it takes a big, lonesome sound to fill it. But it's not all dusty twang and cowboy tunes. Everybody from Buddy Holly to the Shins sprouted up from the Southwest.
I grew up in Texas.
JuneMiller 33 months ago
I do not think that Southeast Texas would be considered Midwest which is where you predicted I grew up - ROFL.
Amalthea 33 months ago
I got California. I grew up in New Hampshire, which is where I still live. Other than Alaska or Hawaii, could they have picked any place FURTHER???
WILD Amalthea 21 months ago
You think yours was bad? I grew up and still live in Montreal.