8 married couples who appeared on Gunsmoke

Dodge City is for lovers.

Gunsmoke is landmark series that brought the grit and drama of Western cinema to the small screen. As the title spelled out, the show delivered a slew of gunslingers, showdowns and shootouts. But any program that topped the ratings with a third of America watching week-to-week had to include a good dose of romance, too.

The will-they-or-won't-they tension between Marshal Matt Dillon and Miss Kitty Russell kept audiences tuned in. In season 19, the writers even gave us "Matt's Love Story," where he falls hard for Michael Learned of The Waltons.

Love could be found behind the scenes, as well. The two-part thriller "Vengeance" from 1967 even kindled a Hollywood romance. But we'll get to that in a bit.

Here are eight celebrity couples who can be found on Gunsmoke. Alas, most of them did not appear onscreen together, but we like to think their relationships led to both husband and wife being cast.

Watch Gunsmoke on MeTV!

Monday - Saturday at 12 PM & 12:30 PM

1. James Arness and Virginia Chapman

Of course, we have to start with the star himself, James Arness. The actor met Virginia Chapman early in his career, in 1948. The two married shortly thereafter and Arness adopted her young son Craig. The two would have a son of their own, pro surfer Rolf Aurness (who used dad's given name), and a daughter, Jenny Lee. Chapman was an actress herself, most notably in the Perry Mason episode "The Case of the Gallant Grafter." She can also be found in one of great early episodes of Gunsmoke, "The Killer," the season-one tale with Charles Bronson. She plays "Gypsy."

Image: AP Photo

2. James Stacy and Kim Darby

As we mentioned above, "Vengeance" sparked a Hollywood romance. The gripping two-hour tale centered around a sly, lightning-quick gunslinger named Bob Johnson, played by James Stacy (Lancer). The 20-year-old Kim Darby, who would soon go toe-to-toe with the Duke in True Grit, played Angel, a young woman who falls hard for the scoundrel Bob Johnson. The actors fell for each other, too, getting hitched in 1968. They divorced in 1969.

Image: The Everett Collection

3. Burt Reynolds and Judy Carne

Burt Reynolds made a name for himself on Gunsmoke as the brooding, brawny blacksmith Quint Asper. He appeared in 50 episodes from 1962–1965. That span nearly lined up with his first marriage. Reynolds wed Judy Carne in 1963, divorcing in 1965. Carne was a wonderful comedian, best known for her "Sock it to me!" catchphrase on Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In. Before that, she headlined her own Sixties sitcoms, Fair Exchange and The Baileys of Balboa. She can also be seen in the Gunsmoke episode "Sweet Billy, Singer of Songs." It aired in 1966 — after she and Reynolds split, after he left the show.

Image: The Everett Collection

4. Robert Culp and France Nuyen

Before becoming a man of action on I Spy (and as an elder man of action on The Greatest American Hero), Robert Culp was a TV cowboy. He starred in the underrated Trackdown, and turned up in The Rifleman, Rawhide and more. In 1964, he appeared in "Hung High" on Gunsmoke. Two years later, France Nuyen, probably best known to classic TV fans as Elaan of Troyius on Star Trek, appeared in two Gunsmoke stories, "Honor Before Justice" and "Gunfighter, R.I.P." That same year, she guest-starred alongside Culp on I Spy. The two married a year later, in 1967. The couple split in 1970.

Image: The Everett Collection

5. Barbara Eden and Michael Ansara

Eden will forever be known as Jeannie on I Dream of Jeannie (1965–70). Michael Ansara, born in the Levant, was an actor best known for playing Cochise on a short-lived 1960 series called Broken Arrow. His studio, 20th Century Fox, had played matchmaker and arranged a date between Ansara and Eden. Two two married in 1958. Ansara popped up on Jeannie as the Blue Djinn, the magical being that trapped Jeannie in her bottle. He can be seen in the Gunsmoke episodes "Honor Before Justice" and "The Returning." Eden beat him to the show, appearing in the 1957's "Romeo."

Image: The Everett Collection

6. Sam Elliott and Katharine Ross

Sam Elliott continues to be the consummate Western macho man, appearing in Super Bowl commercials with Lil Nas X. It's hard to imagine him without that iconic mustache, but in his early career (notably on Mission: Impossible), Elliott was indeed smooth-shaven. He played the groom in the 1972 Gunsmoke episode "The Wedding." Alas, he was not alongside his future bride, Katharine Ross. She was in the much earlier episodes "The Lady" and "Crooked Mile."

Image: The Everett Collection

7. Darren McGavin and Kathie Browne

Darren McGavin is burned into our memory as both the dad in A Christmas Story and the seersucker-sporting vampire hunter of Kolchak: The Night Stalker. But like any actor working in the 1950s and 1960s, he had plenty of Westerns on his resume. Spot him in three Gunsmoke stories — "Gunfighter, R.I.P." (alongside France Nuyen!), "The Hostage," and "Twenty Miles from Dodge." Kathie Browne kicked off her acting career with an early role on Gunsmoke, "Cows and Cribs" in 1957. She and McGavin married in 1969, years after both of them had Gunsmoke under the belts.

Image: The Everett Collection

8. Bruce Dern and Diane Ladd

The veteran actors, pictured here in the outlaw biker cult classic The Wild Angels (1966), both have countless credits  — and continue to rack them up. Ladd can be seen in the Gunsmoke episodes "The Favor," "Sweet Billy, Singer of Songs" and "Blue Heaven." He has her beat by one, having been in "The Long Night," "The Jailer," "South Wind" and "Ten Little Indians." The two were married throughout the Sixties, divorcing when the decade ended. In that span, they had a daughter, Laura Dern.

Image: The Everett Collection

Lbolen55 1 day ago
The most notable thing about Gunsmoke to me is the sound of gunfire on the show. It is unlike the "pew, pew, pew" sound on most Westerns and clearly dramatizes the seriousness of gunplay.
travlincardiacnurse 1 month ago
I enjoy watching tv that doesn’t include violence and bad language
BlessedtoBe 1 month ago
I didn’t grow up watching these shows, but as I got older I became fascinated by classic radio shows because as my grandfather said let your imagination create the excitement. Well Gun Smoke became a favorite with William Conrad, Georgia Ellis and Howard McNear. Now I alternate between metv and radio classics. There’s enough drama, negativity and hatred in the world, it wonderful to see problems and ugliness solved within 30 - 60 minutes. Not to mention the crap on TV today. Thank you metv for giving me hours of enjoyment.
jcholiday 1 month ago
Surprised, wasn't aware of these unions but seeing them here brought a smile to my face! I am avid, every day gun-smoke watcher.
starrmervine 3 months ago
What great tidbits about favorite show of mine so many years ago. That show just never seems to grow old
vbkenneth1 3 months ago
I grew up watching Gunsmoke, as far as I'm concerned Gunsmoke and Bonanza were the best tv western shows ever.
ILLumina1959 3 months ago
I love watching Gunsmoke because this show gives you hope that there are goodness and real friendship in people.
DelbertMac 3 months ago
My life blew by teaching school, but I remember Dad "in rapture" in front of our b&w teevee watching Arness & Co. I realize now the old shows portrayed the best of us (along with the worst)! Every humane lesson of life (which most Americans reject now) was taught on the 50's best shows. I LOVE the 30 minute ones best and the integrity of the stars, especially Quint Asper who was persecuted for being "a half-breed ". Thank you MeTV!!!!!!
LynneJones 4 months ago
When I was a kid my stepfather always watched the show and the rule was no talking at all while the show is on. Now that I'm older, I love the Gunsmoke shows and watch them whenever they're on. I don't think there's any better show on TV than the old westerns.
Avelli01 7 months ago
I love Gunsmoke especially the first 6 season's that were half hour shows, those episode's are all new to me.
bensonegb 7 months ago
Love METV, I wanted to know if you show McHales Navy with Tim Conway and Ernest Borgnine?
DestryStitt bensonegb 6 months ago
I don't think they do, I wish they did though.
Shoney bensonegb 6 months ago
That's a great idea! I love the show too!💗
BrianD57 7 months ago
I would like to see who's guess are no the program I'm watching.
texasluva BrianD57 7 months ago
Depends if you are on the West, Central or East Coast time zones.
CarrieBillingsly 7 months ago
Love, love, love Gunsmoke reruns.
Hey fans check out Buck Taylor's (Newly) website.
His watercolor artwork is astonishing!
It's surprising he did watercolor. I love the character Newly!
FanGirl 7 months ago
My mom's best friend when she was growing up was Amanda Blake's roommate at the University of Alabama. She took us to the Southeastern Livestock Show & Rodeo one year & we met Miss Blake & Ken Curtis. They were both wonderful people!
Tori 7 months ago
I love everything about gunsmoke this day I started watching late I can't imagine life without it I love it
Wish I could have met everybody on myself.
All great actors
SamKujava Tori 7 months ago
Our local CBS affiliate, WBAY-TV, used to have yearly live CP telethons at their station, with guests from CBS series appearing and raising money to combat cerebral palsy. One year I met Ken Curtis, all dressed up like Festus Haggen, and shook his hand. Another friend was told that none other than Amanda Blake thought he was a cute toddler and picked him up and held him in her arms! I cherish my Festus memory but, oh boy, Miss Kitty!
CarrieBillingsly Tori 7 months ago
Yes Tori, I agree
Pauldocella 7 months ago
Does anyone know the name of the episode that aired during INSP marathon on Sunday......afternoon Pacific time. A young man and a young Saloon gal step out the back door of Long Branch for fresh air. The young man got ambushed and his brother appeared soon after. I only watch the beginning and missed the rest of it.