10 forgotten TV shows from the Nineties

One of these shows featured guest stars from The Andy Griffith Show, M*A*S*H and Batman.

The 1990s delivered a TV lineup full of crime dramas, teenage angst and family sitcoms. Many of these shows we still know and love today, but what about the forgotten series of the '90s? We put on our flared jeans and Converse sneakers to travel back to the decade and found these 10 great, yet short-lived or often forgotten shows. With shows like Friends, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Seinfeld and Boy Meets World - it's hard to remember the underdogs of the decade.

Do you remember any of these oh, so '90s shows?

1. Are You Afraid of the Dark?

1990-2000

What is more classic than telling ghost stories around a campfire? Are You Afraid Of The Dark? was a show that first aired in 1990. It tapped into the nostalgia of a group of kids telling stories around a campfire. From a lonely ghost to scary wizards and aliens - this show filled kids, teens and adults with imagination and instilled fear in many viewers. Did you watch this spooky '90s show?

2. Eerie, Indiana

1991-1992

Eerie, Indiana only made it to 19 episodes, but many fans wish it would have lasted longer. Because of its short run it is one of the most forgotten '90s gems. It was The Stranger Things of the '90s in a sense, because it followed the story of a teenage boy who moves to Eerie, Indiana and starts to investigate the town's paranormal acivity. It was apart of the teen supernatural craze in the mid-to-late '90s. Who wants a remake?

3. My So-Called Life

1994-1995

My So-Called Life only lasted one season but made a lasting impact on fans who watched. It was an angst filled '90s show starring Claire Danes, who attempted to navigate her social life, love life and school. Not to mention the fashion choices featured more denim, Doc Martens and plaid than any popular store out there, making it feel very vintage '90s. Jared Leto played Jordan Catalano, which was one of his first big roles ever. What's not to love?

4. Dark Skies

1996-1997

Dark Skies was a sci-fi drama that focused on government conspiracies, aliens and 1960s pop culture icons. Three topics many fans would not think to connect. Dark Skies took influence from The X-Files. If you loved '90s sci-fi, Dark Skies may have been in your weekly rotation. Many historical figures were portrayed in the show, including The Beatles' first ever appearence on The Ed Sullivan Show. This show had a short run and is often forgotten, but those who remember will always remember.

5. Burke's Law

1993-1995

This was a short revival of the 1960s cop show. Burke's Law first aired in 1963 and lasted a few seasons. The '90s revival was a continuation of the adventures of Amos Burke, a senior Los Angeles police officer. The continuation had a few big-name guest stars too. Some of them include: Gavin MacLeod, Don Knotts, Howard Hesseman, Buddy Ebsen, Loretta Swit and Adam West. Did you watch this show both in the '60s and the '90s?

6. Murder, She Wrote

1984-1996

Murder, She Wrote may not be as forgotten as some other shows on the list but it is worth mentioning. This crime drama was centered around Jessica Fletcher, played by Angela Lansbury. Fletcher was a famous mystery novel writer who solved real cases on the side. Fans of classic TV enjoyed the many guest stars who came to the set. They included: Adam West, Janet Leigh, Max Baer Jr. and more.

7. Living Single

1993-1998

Living Single lasted five seasons and was a favorite sitcom during the '90s. Although it had many overlapping themes with other hit shows at the time, Queen Latifah helped make this the hit show that it was. The show tackled everything from boyfriends, coworkers and marriage. The show was known for the cast members incredible chemistry.

8. Just Shoot Me!

1997-2003

Just Shoot Me! lasted for several seasons. It was a popular sitcom but did not have the staying power like Friends, Seinfeld or Fraiser. Because of the amount of award-winning sitcoms in the '90s, this sitcom came to be one of the more forgotten of the bunch. The show was about a fashion magazine and its' employees. It starred George Segal, Wendie Malick and David Spade. Do you remember this quirky workplace sitcom?

9. Northern Exposure

1990-1995

Northern Exposure was a unique prime time drama about the eccentric residents of a fictional small town in Alaska. It ran five years and eventually led to over 50 award nominations. Did you watch Northern Exposure

10. The Ben Stiller Show

1992-1995

Before huge movies like Meet the Parents, Zoolander and Night at the Museum, Ben Stiller had his own sketch comedy show named after him. Most people probably don't remember The Ben Stiller Show, but those who do probably miss it. It was created by Judd Apatow and featured some of the biggest names in '90s comedy such as David Cross, Bob Odenkirk and Dana Gould.

sanderful 14 days ago
Parker Lewis can't Lose, Herman's Head, Picket Fences, Sisters, Dream On!, Get a Life, Fridays
Randall sanderful 13 days ago
How about LIFE GOES ON and MAJOR DAD?
Michael sanderful 12 days ago
With the death of Naomi, I was thinking about Sisters last week. I'msure that was where I first saw Ashley Judd, playing Reed.
LalaLucy 22 days ago
Don't really think most of these classify under forgotten. I can remember well when they were out. Just never really watched any of them. Didn't really interest me. Still don't. If I had to pick one, though, probably Ben Stiller. I do enjoy some of his movies. 🙂
WilliamJorns 1 month ago
I watched "Just Shoot Me!" on a regular basis. I loved the off-the-wall characters who worked for that magazine!
mojomoonjo 1 month ago
I still love watching reruns of Living Single! One of the Best cast line-ups and well-written comedy still holds up.

"In a nineties kinda world,I'm glad I got my grrrls"....
sistervic 1 month ago
Murder She Wrote, one of my favorite, I wish it was on, and Touched By an Angel, Perry Mason, Hogan Heroes. These are a few of my favorites. Thank you, and God bless you all.
zman47240 2 months ago
Murder She Wrote, forgotten?…C’mon MeTV, do you think your viewers all suffer from dementia? You can surely ( and don’t call me Shirley 🤣) come up with a better list than this one as these shows seem to have been fairly popular back in the day.
sistervic zman47240 1 month ago
I love any shows that are respectful, the Lord would appreciate this.
AnnieM 2 months ago
I'm wondering if this article is merely a 'fishing expedition' for whomever is in charge of programming at MeTV to get a feel for public opinion. How's this: Please stick with shows from the 50's, 60's, & 70's!
timothys71 AnnieM 2 months ago
Just a thought: 50's/60's/70's shows on MeTV, and 80's/90's shows on MeTV+? Nexstar, which owns Antenna TV, created a spinoff network called Rewind TV last summer and did just that: Antenna TV now focuses mainly on the 50's, 60's, and 70's, and Rewind TV focuses on the 80's and 90's. (Shows that straddle the 70's and 80's can potentially end up on either network.)
MarianneCoon 2 months ago
How can they think these are forgotten shows? I didn't even watch them except Murder she wrote-which is still on, but I still remember them.
TheSentinel 2 months ago
I watched My So-Called Life when it first started (and I was in college at the time), but remembering back on it, I don't care so much for it now as I did then.
Rob 2 months ago
My wife and I watched Northern Exposure, and Just Shoot Me.
Inrodwetrust 2 months ago
The Ben stiller show was absolutely hilarious. What a cast.
MichaelSkaggs 2 months ago
All but 5, 6, and 9 are forgotten for a reason.
Jeffrey 2 months ago
Most of those shows/series I've never heard of, or watched. My favorites were Murder, She Wrote and Northern Exposure. I watched those two every week.
Charlotte 2 months ago
Loved the show "Just Shoot Me" watched all the episodes, FUNNY! They don't make comedies like they used to.
denny Charlotte 2 months ago
It's on ROKU TV channel. Still very funny, holds up well.
JPeebs48 2 months ago
I watched Burke’s Law in the 60’s. I have no rememberance of Burke’s Law in the 90’s. Certainly a lost 90’s tv show.
327053 2 months ago
Born in the 70s. Grew up in the 80s.
Can’t remember the 90s. Didn’t watch any of these. The Ben Stiller Show???
🤷‍♂️
CouchPotato19 327053 2 months ago
I was born in '68 yet can't remember much of anything music or TV-wise past 1990. Scary, ain't it?
327053 CouchPotato19 1 month ago
Maybe it’s because the best shows and music were from the 70s and 80s 😊
Rob CouchPotato19 1 month ago
I was born in ‘69 and still remember the 90’s onward, but you’re not missing very much.
KellyTenace 2 months ago
Forgotten? Most of these shows rans for multiple seasons. Who writes these titles? Odd.
Dwight KellyTenace 2 months ago
Probably people that weren’t born until the mid-late nineties. Some of the shows they list did quite well in the nineties, and are remembered by those of us old enough to have watched them. I’ll give them that 3-4 of these are totally forgettable, but there is a difference.
Mannixishot 2 months ago
I truly enjoyed "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" Nick Rewind's block messed up because they easily could've rotated different Nickelodeon shows out and show a variety. They got stuck on the same shows and I wasn't too surprised the block was dropped.