America might love the Addams Family at Christmas more than Halloween

Hundreds of families requested to use this Charles Addams Christmas comic for their holiday cards in the Sixties.

Read to Me

The Addams Family has a reputation for the macabre, but that doesn’t mean fans don’t think of Gomez, Morticia, Wednesday, Pugsley, Lurch and Thing only around Halloween.

In the much-cherished Addams Family episode "Christmas with the Addams Family," fans loved seeing the Victorian mansion decked out with holly, with Morticia dressing the Christmas tree and every single member of the family posing as Santa to fool their trickster kids.

Ken Weatherwax told The Asbury Park Press in 2006 that he especially loved acting in this Addams Family Christmas episode because it "was one of the special shows that centered on the kids. It was great."

In the Sixties, people became just as fond of The Addams Family at Christmas not just because of this classic episode, but also because arguably the most popular Charles Addams comics of all time featured the Addams family at Christmas.

The same year the Christmas episode aired, Addams told the Alternative Press that "probably the most famous and delightfully shocking" of all his cartoons was "a holiday-time drawing of the haunted mouldering Victorian house, obviously on Christmas Eve."

This comic showed a troupe of children caroling in front of the Addams’ house, singing cheerfully. Unbeknownst to the children, up on the rooftop, Gomez, Morticia and Lurch prepare to empty a cauldron over their "innocent heads."

This may not seem totally in the Christmas spirit, but it resonated around the holidays all the same.

"Literally hundreds of people wrote to me asking permission to reproduce it – for their Christmas cards," Addams said.

In "Christmas with the Addams Family," though, the episode ends on a legitimately merry note, showing the cast earnestly singing "We Wish You a Merry Christmas," with Cousin Itt even joining in for his own solo.

So although we celebrated "Halloween with the Addams Family" a year before in 1964, and it seemed perfectly natural to watch Gomez carve a pumpkin, in 1965, audiences discovered their favorite time of year with the Addams Family just might be Christmas.

It’s fun to imagine Lurch responding to a more wholesome call, not to fetch a medieval weapon, but to bring us some figgy pudding.

Watch The Addams Family on MeTV!

Weeknights at 6PM

Runeshaper 13 days ago
That sounds like an episode I have to watch! The photo alone in this article of the family is worth a thousand words (-:
JudithReboy 14 days ago
I'm surprised that the article doesn't mention that the cartoon with the carolers was recreated in the beginning of the live action Addams Family movie.
CaptainDunsel 14 days ago
I used that cartoon one year for some cards. Another year I used this one:
That's AWESOME!
For the first one (with the carolers), the inside read "Wishing you all the warmth of the holiday season."
hahahaha that's great!
bdettlingmetv 14 days ago
I just checked out a 'highlights" video of "Christmas with the Addams Family" on The Tube. Very cute and funny. I will keep my eyes open for the full episode as we get nearer to the holiday.
bagandwallyfan52 14 days ago
Since Popeye cartoons are seen on METV does anyone know
Why The name of BLUTO was
Changed to BRUTUS??
Why did EGGHEAD disappear from Looney Tunes and Egghead
Vanished into THE CARTOON ZONE which is similar to The
SITCOM ZONE.
CoreyC bagandwallyfan52 13 days ago
There was some copyright issues with Disney I believe cause kids would confuse him with Pluto.
CoreyC bagandwallyfan52 13 days ago
As for Egghead the character evolved into Elmer Fudd.
bagandwallyfan52 14 days ago
There should have been a
Christmas Episode of Leave
Bill Scott
Uncle Billy
Aunt Martha
Also I wis that BOTH
Judy Hensler and Penny Woods
Had been on been on Leave It
To Beaver at the same time.
It also would have been great
if Spike and Chachi had both
Been on Happy Days at the same time and it would have been great if Moose(Barry Greenberg) Bag Zombroski
(Neil J. Schwartz) Spike(Danny
Butch) Eugene Belvin(Denis Mandel) Melvin Belvin(Scott
Bernstein) and Chuck Cunningham (either Randolph Roberts OR Gavan O Herlihy)
Had not vanished from Happy Days with no explanation.
Penny Woods was played by
Karen Sue Trent and Judy Hensler was played by Jeri
Weil and Tooey Brown was played by Tiger Fafara and
Chester Anderson was played by
Buddy Hart and Bill Scott was played by David Kent.
NYRY11 16 days ago
Munsters>Addams Family
Pacificsun NYRY11 14 days ago
I think you have that backwards. It's AF is greater than M. After all, this IS an AF thread. In fact I think there should be a quiz survey to find out which show is more popular just for Halloween.

Come on MeTV Writers you can get it out there just in time for Oct. 31.
bagandwallyfan52 NYRY11 14 days ago
I liked the cartoon movie
The Jetsons Meet The
Flintstones and I wish that
METV would show this movie. Back in 1964 or 1965
I wish that there had been
A spooky comedy movie
Ernest Movies and
Elvis Presley Movies
bagandwallyfan52 NYRY11 14 days ago
Correction
Pee Wees Playhouse.
AnnieM Pacificsun 14 days ago
I'd love to see a poll like this! I'm genuinely curious which would turn out to be more popular. I like them both, but have to say I prefer the Munsters (Herman was adorable!). I think the Addams Family had more of a dry wit, where the Munsters were more slapstick.
Cartoons were never as competitive as TV series. Unfortunately TV networks were. Neither would admit the other show existed much less consider a cross-over. But it would've been so much fun if they had! What a great movie it would've made. But part of that restriction also had to do with the Cartoonist behind the Addams Family who was very proprietary about his original creation. It was difficult just getting it to TV because so much attention needed to be paid to the original images/caricatures. Of course bringing it to TV, some adaptation needed to be made. Read more about it here:

Zip 16 days ago
"It would appear that the spooky, ooky family simply helped inspire many families to add more adjectives to their holidays than "merry" and "bright.""

Like "scary" and "fright", maybe?
WGH 16 days ago
I used to go to the library with my dad when I was in grade school for one reason… they had a book of Charles Adams cartoons and I loved reading it over and over!
sputnik_57 16 days ago
My favorite line in all the AF episodes is when Morticia says to Gomez: "Darling when we're together every night is Halloween"
Moriyah 17 days ago
Man, I wish they made a Gomer Pyle Christmas episode! Who agrees with me?! (Let me know)
Load previous comments
Pacificsun LoveMETV22 14 days ago
Very good! I was reading about the origin of Shazzam in another place and had no idea that MeTV originated the research and story! What a great find!
Pacificsun Moriyah 14 days ago
I think it would make a terrific story!!! Moriyah, I know you have it in you to write a great episode, turn it into fan fiction, and post it in the fandom for GP. I'll help if I can, in any way you need. Just think about what you'd like to watch and turn it into a story!!!
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!!!!!!!, There should have been both Halloween and Christmas episodes of
GOMER Pyle USMC.
Yes, they definitely should've done that! But I don't know why they did that