Pick: What would you watch on TV in 1978?

So many superheroes and super sitcoms!

Are you ready to groove back to 1978? Well, we have a remote control that happens to be a time machine, too. It's was the disco era — which meant seeing ABBA perform live. It was also an era of superheroes, much like today, with Wonder Woman and the big green guy. Space was hot, thanks to Star Wars. Charlie's Angels and Hawaii Five-O were fighting crime.

All of this sounds a lot like today, honestly.

So let's see what you would watch in this popular era of pop culture. How do your tastes compare to others?
  1. We begin on a Friday night. It's November 24, 8PM. There's a brand new sitcom, a superhero and singing siblings.
  2. We now jump to Friday at 9PM, only it's January 27. What'll it be?
  3. Saturday morning is the greatest morning of them all. What cartoon will you be watching at 9:30AM?
    Image: Warner Bros.
  4. We land on a Saturday in spring at 8PM. Pick something.
  5. Zoom! It's now November 18, still a Saturday, at 8PM. Which option do you fancy?
    Image: Warner Bros. Television
  6. Sunday night is for families. The holidays season is here. It's December 17. Will it be the story of flight… or flying in space?
  7. Back to work on Monday. But now it's 8PM and there is great TV to be seen.
  8. Here were are on a Tuesday, 8PM, on February 7. Which looks best to you?
  9. Hey, hey, it's Hump Day! Wednesday at 8PM, November 15, specifically. Tune in to one of these.
  10. Same exact evening, an hour later. Will you get up to change the channel at 9PM?
  11. Now it is Thursday at 8PM. You looking for laughs, warmth or eerie tales?
    Image: CBS Television Distribution
  12. We finish on a Thursday at 9PM. Choose a crime-solver — dramatic or comedic?

Pick: What would you watch on TV in 1978?

Save with

Runeshaper 3 months ago
82% similar
82% similar to the most popular responses
Amalthea 4 months ago
I actually remember my mother & I watching "Bud & Lou".
WILD 6 months ago
62% similar
62% similar to the most popular responses.
KatHat 12 months ago
I got 62%. Hmmm. not sure if these shows were really on at the same time, I remember watching so many of them and not having to make such a tough choice back then!
MichaelNivens KatHat 3 months ago
Hulk beats Rockford Files - gimme a break -Plus, I liked WKRP ,but I highly doubt It beats Little House-this must be skewed a little for MeTv , if not outright rigged
CruiseGirl4Life 13 months ago
68% I remember tuning into Mork & Mindy just to watch Robin Williams do the dance!
* But jumped the shark with the Mearth episodes. ♣
DMKalish 13 months ago
I know what each of these shows are. Growing up however some I liked some I did not. If you want to watch classic cartoons Cartoon Network shows them just need to check their schedule to find out when they are on. Me-TV does have a good line up. I do wish however they would bring back Emergency, Adam-12 and CHiPs I miss them. I heard another network is starting to show them. I will check that out.
djw1120 DMKalish 10 months ago
I don't know about "CHiPS", but "Adam-12" and "Emergency" are on Monday through Friday on COZI-TV which is a subsidiary of NBC.
MichaelNivens djw1120 3 months ago
I had Cozi , but It went off my lineup
stevewconsulting 13 months ago
A better analysis would be to ask what older shows people would watch NOW. 1978 was 40 years ago and the majority of us have changed, or at least SHOULD have grown over that period of time.
That's not to say MeTV's content isn't desirable, it's excellent!

But our tastes have changed since 1978. Keep up the good work. Cable TV is going down the tubes. I get MeTV off the airwaves.
Shadowdancer 13 months ago
For me which show I watched depended on what season the episode was in. I didn't like some seasons in some of the shows
JamesB 13 months ago
68%. I think we've had this one before now. I don't think I ever watched most of these shows aside from the cop shows or procedurals. I never liked Happy Days after the 1st season. After that, it was like watching a play on TV.
FrankCollins 13 months ago
I would like to see the classic cartoons on MeTV, like Bugs Bunny, Mighty Mouse, Rocky and Bullwinkle, etc.
THOMASTERRYJR FrankCollins 13 months ago
That would be nice. They could schedule it on Sunday night to replace the extra hour of MASH. Since FOX has had so much success with The Simpsons, Family Guy, why not schedule classic cartoons on Sunday evening.
ItalGal68 FrankCollins 13 months ago
100% with you on that!!! And the best time to show them would be Saturday morning. Yes Bugs, Mighty Mouse, Groovy Goolies; this is what MeTV needs!
Excellent Idea -classic cartoons way better than Mash- uber liberal Alan Alda took over that show and ruined It
FrankCollins 13 months ago
I would like to see the classic cartoons on MeTv, like Bugs Bunny, Mighty Mouse, Rocky and Bullwinkle, etc.
djw1120 FrankCollins 10 months ago
How about the old Hanna-Barbera cartoons?
And I don't mean "The Jetsons" or "The Flintstones" - even if they are classics.
Like "The Herculoids", "The Impossibles", "Space Ghost", "Birdman" and others.
I would also like to see the origin stories for these 'toons - if there is one.
Tampammm 13 months ago
"Eight is Enough"

That show has disappeared off the face of the Earth. Haven't seen reruns in decades.
djw1120 Tampammm 10 months ago
Instead of "Eight is Enough", how about "Zero is Enough".
Never did like that show, nor did I ever watch it either.
MichaelNivens Tampammm 3 months ago
I was a big fan of Eight Is Enough
MichaelSkaggs 13 months ago
Once again you need "None of the Above" or Mr. NOTA as an option.
Wiseguy 13 months ago
#1 and #3 would have been "None of the Above." #12 was one of the few times I would have watched all three. All three were on at the same time between Sep 1978 and Dec 1979. I usually watched Barney Miller, then if it was pre-empted, I watched Quincy. During reruns, I watched Quincy if I missed it when it was new. I rarely got around to watching Hawaii Five-0 but as mentioned, it was going downhill by that point, anyway. [And, yes, it is Hawaii Five-0 with a zero not the letter O.]
FrankCollins Wiseguy 13 months ago
Barney Miller was one of the best TV shows of all time, but the voters didn't pick it.
My feeling exactly
Plus , I do not recall Barney up against Hawaii Five-O
Gregory 13 months ago
I wonder if many people chose a show because of name recognition, rather than setting the show in the context of 1978. For example, All In The Family was way past it's half life by 1978. All in the Family was more like 1971-72. And again with Hawaii Five O, a great show, but way past its prime in 1978.
FrankCollins Gregory 13 months ago
All in the Family was the most watch show, number 1 in the Nielsen ratings, for the first 5 years it was on TV, beginning in 1971-72.
MichaelNivens Gregory 3 months ago
I concur -after first couple of seasons of All In The Family , we lost Interest In our household.
jholton30062 13 months ago
Re #2: That was the night of our rehearsal dinner. We got married the next day, and we're still married.

Chances are good that I was at work any day after July 4. So I had to guess. 71%.
RobCertSDSCascap 13 months ago