Only a Boomer can answer all these questions about vintage telephones

You might want to listen to "Pennsylvania 6-5000" for clues.

Telephone technology has radically changed over our lifetime. When we were kids, the coolest telephone we could imagine owning was shaped like Mickey Mouse. Today, we have folding computer screens.

Boomers can perhaps even remember the time of party lines. You probably had to live through several decades to ace this quiz, too.

See if you can answer all these questions about vintage telephones. We're talking land lines here, kids.

1. What is this?
    Image: Radio Shack
  2. Which number is the arrow pointing to on a rotary dial?
  3. What is this device made by Ameritech?
  4. Which Elizabeth Taylor movie title is a telephone number?
  5. What is this kind of vintage telephone called?
  6. Why would you call the number 777-FILM?
  7. What is this device?
    Image: Radio Shack
  8. The telephone number "MUrray Hill 5-9975" is what type of telephone number?
  9. Who is this using a car phone in 1958?
  10. Here is an ad for an "Amazing Telephone Breakthrough" — the cordless phone! What year is it from?
    Image: Radio Shack
  11. What did dialing *66 do?
  12. On the West Coast, what would dialing "POPCORN" get you?

Only a Boomer can answer all these questions about vintage telephones

Save with

E1961 15 days ago
11 of 12. I lived in th Midwest.
DerekBird 24 days ago
You got 10 out of 12
Call a friend and tell them your score!
QazWiz 1 month ago
that wasn't the call for time in Michigan...

Also, surprised they didn't ask the legitimate phone number that NO ONE could be assigned. (the number contained neither "1"s nor "0"s yet never was assigned to a legitimate service)
QazWiz QazWiz 1 month ago
HINT: kids often risked getting a whippin' because of the number..... :D
EmBee 1 month ago
I grew up on the west coast (LA) and the number for time was 853-1212. "At the tone the time will be, seven...forty-four and thirty seconds B E E P".
QazWiz EmBee 1 month ago
yes, i think it usually was assigned as (3 digit local exchange) + 1212 (in Flint Michigan it was CEdar 4-1212 (234-1212))
Allison 1 month ago
11/12 I'm from NJ. WTH do I know about dialing POPCORN??? lol
jpdirisio13 1 month ago
10/12 Missed 6 & 12.....I'm east....never heard of POPCORN for the time. Besides.....I have a clock. Nyuk Nyuk!
KeithARies 1 month ago
l didn't, & still don't live on the west coast, so... l never heard of that. got all the rest correct tho!
Pacificsun 1 month ago
I had NO idea what #8 meant.

#10 wasn't exactly a cordless "phone" but a cordless "receiver." As you can see it wasn't possible to dial a number from it. But wasn't tethered to the phone base either.

They should've asked in what year was having a telephone in a car established (I'd like to know) but surprisingly it is seen in many TV shows going back through the 60's. So it's been around for a very long time.
JDnHuntsvilleAL 1 month ago
Not only do you have to be a boomer, you have to be a CALIFORNIA boomer to get some of these.
CALIFORNIA DREAMIN...😂🤣
True, I didn't know getting the time was specific to California in terms of dialing Popcorn, but we did it all the time!
Granny 1 month ago
8/12 This boomer couldn't answer all of them!
Utzaake 1 month ago
9/12. The last three.
4. Ah yes. Butt-8.
DavidBarker 1 month ago
You got 10 out of 12
Call a friend and tell them your score!
Missed the caller ID box and the year for the cordless phone...
Tom DavidBarker 1 month ago
Tell them my Score? Score was a hair cream for grooming your hair. Their slogan? "What's the Score"!
JC 1 month ago
You got 9 out of 12
Call a friend and tell them your score!
AgingDisgracefully 1 month ago
Not a word about Maxwell Smart's footwear communications device.

And Frank Cannon's car phone was also unmentioned. It seems Frank's device was so bulky, his sporty roadster rode about four inches above the ground. If only he lived to see the flip-phone...
Mannix had a car phone, too.
And appreciably better Miles-Per-Gallon.
Plus Peggy's weekly...
"Joe?"
"Yeah."
"Be careful."
RobCertSDSCascap MrsP58 1 month ago
Charlie's Angels did too.
Pacificsun MrsP58 1 month ago
According to the Quiz, Peter Gunn did too, and he came way before the shows mentioned above. I'd like the know the first instance of one shown in a TV Series. I can't remember myself.
texasluva Pacificsun 1 month ago
Car 54 Where Are you in 1961.Peter Gunn (1958) Further back is Highway Patrol (1955). If you wish to call them phones or radio/receiver. I have to jump into my pretend Time Machine to check further back. .
texasluva Pacificsun 1 month ago
Car phones were first invented in 1946 but didn't make it much further than St. Louis at the time. They weighed 80 pounds and only had three radio channels shared between the entire city, making them pretty limited. They did end up slowly spreading, and radio phones like those of 1946 remained functional until the early 80s when cellular technology took hold. Now to find TV series instance. For sure ET is not calling home with these phones. Maybe 2 police precincts and a doughnut shop . Now to find that elusive numero uno TV series.
texasluva Pacificsun 1 month ago
Sabrina 1954. Looks who's in back seat using phone. Now the history of such phones via a 1946 video. .
vr518 1 month ago
I got 9 out of 12, and I was born in 1981.
jholton30062 1 month ago
10/12. Missed the last two: we had rotary phones until the late '80's, so I never used *66, and there was no way I'd know "popcorn" would get the time in LA (the number in Chicago was CAthedral 8-8000, or was it 5000?).
JeanInTN jholton30062 1 month ago
I think you could use 9966 if you had a rotary phone; it was something like that. I missed that question because I forgot which codes did what. There was also a code for getting the number of the last call you received, and you when placing a call you could dial a code first which would block your number from caller ID. All the codes were *6 something. I assume these still exist, at least that last one. I used to sometimes use the rotary version of the one for finding out who called me if I had missed a call. There was a charge for using it, but it was a lot cheaper than paying for caller ID.
kkvegas jholton30062 1 month ago
I grew up in Los Angeles, and I'd never heard of POPCORN. We dialed 853-1212 to hear the time.
Hmmm...I was born and raised in Los Angeles, in the 60's of course, and we DID in fact use 🍿 😎
Pacificsun jholton30062 1 month ago
The differences in convenience codes for services had to do with the local providers. For example "Pac Bell" provided a lot of Bay Area services. But the same thing would apply to other States & Counties too!