10 wretchedly romantic Addams Family quotes perfect for Valentine’s Day
According to Morticia, “There’s nothing more romantic than a dark, chill attic in a thunderstorm.”
Image: The Everett Collection
For anyone looking to switch things up this Valentine’s Day, we’ve collected a few romantic messages guaranteed not to be in any run-of-the-mill greeting cards. What better place to find macabre musings on love than in The Addams Family?
For all its wonderful weirdness and hilarious spooks, the couple at the center of the classic sitcom were actually quite beautiful together. In its own odd way the show featured some of the most romantic scenes on TV in the early Sixties!
Gomez and Morticia were never shy about showing their love for each other, especially when Morticia spoke the language of l’amour. Whether you need inspiration for oddball Valentine’s cards this year or just looking for a lovely laugh, these Addams Family quotes will not disappoint.
1. “You are the only cactus in the garden of my life.”
This Gomez quote works for that special someone in your life who loves plants, especially spiky desert plants.
2. “It would be beguiling to be on the moon with you, cara mia. Especially if we landed on the dark side.”
Move over Darth Vader, you're not the only one with a penchant for the dark side. This Gomez quote works for any significant others who wish they were astronauts.
3. “There’s nothing more romantic than a dark, chill attic in a thunderstorm.”
Warm, bright spaces are overated — at least according to Morticia.
4. “You are dearer to me than all the bats in all the caves in the world.”
A high compliment coming from Morticia!
5. “Time has stood still for you, angelito mio. You look even lovelier than the day I first laid eyes on you.”
For those whose love still burns after many years, Gomez said it best.
6. “When we’re together darling, every night is Halloween.”
If you and your romantic partner would rather be celebrating a different holiday, try this Morticia quote in their card!
7. “When you speak French, you drive me wild!”
'French' in this Gomez quote can be substituted out for anything, really, like 'cars,' 'art history' or 'quantum mechanics.'
8. "Your perfume! Cara mia, it sets my blood aflame."
When your beloved sends you with their scent.
9. “I have been yours since the day I first saw you riding side-saddle on a buffalo.”
Most people may only be able to use the first half of this quote, but it's still a great line.
10. “When the blazing sun has turned to mud, and the moon lies dead in a pool of blood, and the tom-tom beat of eternity starts, whom will I love in my heart of hearts?”
If your significant other likes things meladramatic, then nothing beats this Gomez poem!