There was nearly a spooky Gilligan's Island reboot — but Sherwood Schwartz stopped it

In this proposed version, the castaways become cannibals.

In 2020, we saw a reboot of the Ricardo Montalbán-led fantasy drama TV series Fantasy Island. Serving as a prequel to the 1977 series, Blumhouse's Fantasy Island was a spooky reimagining of the idea of an island that brought your fantasies to life. The reception was...less than a fantasy. While it made back well over its small $7 million budget, it currently sits at a dismal 8% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

However, this was not the first classic TV show that was proposed to be brought back as a horror movie. The idea is older than you'd think — and was proposed for Gilligan's Island in the Nineties.

James Gunn, known for Guardians of the Galaxy, The Suicide Squad, and Slither, recently spoke about a concept that had been floated by Charlie Kaufman, the writer of indie darlings Being John Malkovich and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

According to Gunn, in the Nineties, Kaufman proposed a dark and gritty retooling of the beloved castaways. "A true story: In the late ‘90s screenwriting GOAT Charlie Kaufman pitched a movie version of Gilligan’s Island where the islanders, starving & desperate, started killing & eating each other," Gunn tweeted.

According to Gunn, "Warner Bros wanted to do it - but Sherwood Schwartz, the creator, said no way."

Of course, Gunn was not the mega-star back then that he was now. In modern times, fresh off his Guardians of the Galaxy smash hit, he tried to revive the eerie Gilligan reboot again.

Warner Bros. and Kaufman were ready to board this three-hour tour, but once again Schwartz — well, the Schwartz estate — put a stop to it. "Anyway, if the Schwartz estate changes their mind," Gunn said, "I’m here."

Castaway cannibals! Only one question remains now... who would you cast in this gory retelling?

Watch Gilligan's Island on MeTV!

Two Full Hours

Sundays 2 PM

Jon 1 month ago
No! Enough w/ these "reboots"! I hate to think of what today's jokers would do w/ a lot of shows set to modern sensibilities.
albundy Jon 1 month ago
Reboots have to have all kinds of perversions and degenerates in it. Look at ANYTHING the cw does, or reboots like one day at a time.
ncadams27 1 month ago
Mr. Howell shows up late for dinner and Mrs. Howell gives him the cold shoulder.

Gilligan stew with a hint of Ginger.
Stoney 1 month ago
I'm glad this never happened.
Snickers 1 month ago
Thank god they put that to rest. Can you see the skipper eating his little buddy?
Moverfan Snickers 1 month ago
Depends on how mad he is and what Giligan did, I'd expect.
Coldnorth Snickers 1 month ago
Gilligan is too skinny for a full meal for the skipper. Gilligan could be enough for appetizers. Skipper would be on a good diet though.
Seeing as Gilligan is so skinny...He could be painted green to resemble a stalk of celery, {with the paint the Professor made,} slathered with a peanut butter/like substance.
If no one wishes to sup on him, he could somehow be turned into a human toothpick!
With a olive on top?
No olives. I hate olives. Both green and black. But I definitely would garnish him with mushrooms!
idkwut2use 1 month ago
Sounds potentially up my alley; I'd have given it a shot. xD
OldeTymeTv 1 month ago
Very bad idea!
Snickers OldeTymeTv 1 month ago
I agree, why would anyone think this was a good idea?
TVFF 1 month ago
If you want to see people eat each other just go to Congress. That's pure cannibalism.
Runeshaper 1 month ago
I'm not a big fan of this reboot. I just don't have any interest in recreating a fun story and turning into this.
Load previous comments
Reuben Sandwich, that's a good one. Or how about stuffed Partridge under glass with a nice wine sauce?
texasluva LoveMETV22 1 month ago
I've seen that movie twice. That was something else. Then near the end that one guy turned on them. Knock down drag out fight. They sent him down the meat grinder too. I might have it on IA also. 😳
LoveMETV22 texasluva 1 month ago
Not a blockbuster, but not a bad movie overall. Interesting cast. Halle Berry, Elton John,
Channing Tatum, Jeff Bridges and a few others. Worth a watch every so often.
LoveMETV22 texasluva 1 month ago
Yes IA has it, The Secret Service and The Golden Circle.
cperrynaples 1 month ago
Reading this post reminded me there was already a cannibal version of GI! 30 years ago Howard Stern did a parody where they ate the corpses of Mr. Howell & the Skipper! Bob Denver & Dawn Wells even appeared in the sketch with Howard as Ginger [?]! i'm certain that Kaufman stole the idea from this sketch!
dave 1 month ago
That's the first time I ever heard of a Gilligan's Reboot where they were cannibals. Last Reboot I heard them talk about was Gilligan and Skipper were AWOL from the Coast Guard, Mary Anne was not as wholesome as she would let you think. As she had a dark secret, The Howells got their money from insider trading and other shady deals. The Professor was a lecherous man with a couple of coed's from the college he taught at. He even hit on the women Mrs. Howell and Mary Anne And Ginger.
cperrynaples dave 1 month ago
Yep, and Ginger was a racist...OOPS that was Roseanne Barr as Ginger! Fun Fact: That was the closest Tina Louise got to a GI reunion! She even joked with Sherwood Schwartz!
DuanneWalton 1 month ago
It's been suggested.
Well of course he would be the first victim...LOL!
MrsPhilHarris 1 month ago
I would never had made it to air.
Zip 1 month ago
I wouldn't cast anyone in it because I wouldn't be a part of making it.
Thank goodness Sherwood put the kibosh on that nonsense! Hopefully the Schwartz estate will continue to put the brakes on any such notion.
I really wish hollywood would stop ruining classic shows.
Snickers Zip 1 month ago
Seems like all they do is re-boot old T.V shows and movies. Can no one in Hollywood come up with new ideas?
Moody 1 month ago
I thought the original was frightening enough. Three years on an isolated island with 2 beautiful women & no whoopee? That's absolutely terrifying!
Moverfan Moody 1 month ago
Hey, come on. Mrs. Howell was a very pretty lady, too--of course, she was also a respectable married lady.
justjeff 1 month ago
Leave it to some money-hungry Hollywood sleazebag to take a tried and true concept like Gilligan's Island [whether you like it or not] and try to squeeze a few more bucks of it it...

Now, should I tell you how I *really* feel???

However, I wouldn't mind a Gomer Pyle cannibal treatment, where Lou Ann and Bunny chow down on a Marine Roast - 'cause to tell you the truth... I'm kinda getting sick and tired of hearing about Gomer Pyle here, there and everywhere... (despite how many rocks may be thrown at me on this blog)...
Load previous comments
Michael stephaniestavr5 1 month ago
Actually, Pete Seeger turned the quote ito a song, the Byrds did a cover version.
texasluva justjeff 1 month ago
Town Folks after the Punster er Monster -

Outcome-Not good -
Lol Unless you are in the movie "The Core" where the earth's core stopped spinning. Pretty good movie ( but just opinion).
LoveMETV22 LoveMETV22 1 month ago
Free to watch on Youtube movies, and several other sites. It's been out a while. Pretty sure my cable provider has it in their free movies section.
WordsmithWorks 1 month ago
Making the castaways cannibals certainly would not have been good for the show's longevity. Let's see... the Skipper would have went first (for obvious reasons), then the Howells together, then Ginger. There would have been a Professor-Mary Ann-Gilligan triangle, with the two younger castaways teaming up on Dr. Hinkley. Gilligan and Mary Ann would be left to repopulate the island.
What would go well with a castaway..... some fava beans and a nice Chianti.
“I Do Wish We Could Chat Longer, But I'm Having An Old Friend For Dinner.” ...
nope Gilligan would've been first and then the rest of them could've got off the island. problem solved.
cperrynaples 1 month ago
There was also a spooky reboot of Fantasy Island in the '90's with Malcolm McDowell as Mr. Roarke and it was pretty good! FI 2021 was horrible! No guest stars, no Tattoo, and no good stories!
Zip cperrynaples 1 month ago
The 90's Fantasy Island made Mr. Roarke out to be some kind of devil. Too dark. I much prefer Ricardo Montalbán's characterization. A guy with a trick up his sleeve, but still friendly.
Speaking of reboots:
This weekend on Decades, {for those that are interested,} they are airing a Binge Watch of the '80's Twilight Zone.
Why don't they have a binge watch of the black and white Twilight Zone? Much better writing and you always waited till the end to see what kind of twist was going to be thrown in.
Maybe they don't have the rights to show it, seeing as METV is airing it. Then again...I think Decades is "owned" by METV, so that may not be the reason. I think in the past, METV would air a block of eps from a show to welcome it to the station, maybe that's why Decades is showing '80's TZ.
AnnieM Snickers 1 month ago
While yes, the original TZ is great, it's also very easily found on a number of channels and streaming services. The 80's reboot is not so easily found, and it wasn't bad. I still remember the Elvis episode they did, and that one could have stood with any classic B&W TZ episode.
Since we don't get Decades in western New York I guess I'll just not concern myself to much about it.
Snickers AnnieM 1 month ago
And Monk is available on a number of channels as well but still showed up on MeTV so what's your point?